Using A Router...

BombaTwist

i got this router, the brand is motorola 802.11g Wireless broadband router, i hooked up everything right, and i installed it with a cd, my question is, how do i connect to the internet with it? it wont let me use my current one that i use without the router. can anyone help?

does the router have a web interface to it? DSL generally gives you a static IP address that you would have to enter into the router so it would get online.

Does your computer get an IP address from the router?

you can check by going start > run > cmd, and in the cmd window type 'ipconfig'. If you see a 169.254.X.X or 0.0.0.0 you're not getting an IP address.

Checking these things will help troubleshoot the issue.

does the router have a web interface to it? DSL generally gives you a static IP address that you would have to enter into the router so it would get online.

Some xDSL connections ask for a password and a server name, it could be that you have to set them in the router. (other way is that your ISP indeed gives you an IP number)

the ips are correct and that plug it out and replug it in i did that too but i cant seem to connect, i also checked the username and pass to connect. im supposed to connect to the internet with the same one as i use with out the router right?

Yes, that´s right, could be that you have to set the protocol by hand, but most routers do it automatic if you select the type of connection (else you also would not get user name and password) :blink: .

What I´m thinking of is that the router isn´t compatible or so with your ISP, I saw it more times (small chance but still).

• 2 weeks later...

There are a few possible reasons.

1.) Your modem acts as a passthrough modem in which case the connection-settings have to be made in your router. Not all routers support this.

2.) Your modem only accepts outgoing calls from one MAC-adress. This adress is given during installation of the modem. To avoid problems most routers have MAC-adress-spoofing. (I.e. you can configure your router to have the mac-adress of your workstation.)

3.) Your modem supports NAT and your inside adress-range of the modem is the same as the inside adress-range of your router. In Which case a IP-packet from your PC is not routed to the outside.

Ofcourse I am base in Holland and our ISP's are a bit behind with technology compared to the US. So it can be that above possibilities don't make any sense in the US.