Wireless Networking Key Index Disaster? :/

Andomie

:( I have windows xp sp2 and when setting up my wireless adapter-- I was not able to set the key index value to 0. It only accepts the value of 1-4. I haven't been able to find any help for this anywhere. I'm near tears. :(

Can someone help me?

FYI, I'm running PIII 996 MHz, 384 MB of RAM, running Windows XP Service Pack 2

If anyone can help me I'd be soooooooooooo grateful! :)

Sorry for the delay in responding. I checked for updated drivers for my wireless adapter but the adapter appears to be working fine. In the configuration-- using Microsoft's Networking, For the WEP Network Key, I cannot set the Key Index value to 0. The key index values are 1-4 on my system. But I need a key index of 0. Microsoft shows that there should be a key index value of 0, 1, 2, 3 in an article on troubleshooting wireless zero configuration.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=870702

I have windows xp with sp2 and so I don't know why I don't have the key index value of 0 that is mentioned in this article. I have a key index value of 1-4, not 0-3.

I can't believe I can't find a solution for this. The only other option I feel I have now is to just burn what data I want to or can save to CDs and then install another OS.

I'm very discouraged. I have always been able to find the solution to my problems but this time I can't find the solution. I've gotten every windows update microsoft will give me. Every driver update I can find. I'm using a WUSB11b, A Linksys wireless adapter.

Key index (advanced): This is an optional setting that specifies which of four positions the key is stored in: 0, 1, 2, or 3.

I don't think it matters if it's 0-3 or 1-4.

I can't remember because I've switched to WPA since SP2 and it's much more secure than WEP.

Just use the first available and see.

If your Linksys supports WPA I'd trying setting up WPA instead. It works just fine in the LinksysWRT54G.

It matters, the key index. It's not working with 1, 2, 3, or 4. I also have a D-link internal wireless networking card and it is the same problem. I have a dual boot with win2000 on it and it has the same key index values-- which is no help. I'm now thinking to just roll back xp but first I'll try removing the partition with windows 2000 on it and install another copy of Windows xp, not get the updates and perphaps connecting with that will work until I find a solution.

I don't know what else to do.

Yes, apparently the key index does matter. My roommate and I stared at his Sony Vaio laptop for a day trying to get it to connect to my wireless router (LINKSYS). The router has 4 keys (all identical) labeled 1-4 in the software. I had it set to key index 2, but didn't really think it mattered b/c the keys were all identical. When connecting his laptop to the wireless network it would always 'connect' with 'limited connectivity' which we later found out occurred if you typed in a completely bogus network encryption key as well. So we finally realized the problem was the key was incorrect. Finally by luck I switched the key index on the LinkSys to 1 and his laptop was happy. So does Windoze default to key index 1 (0) when connecting to a wireless network? And if so, how does one change that?

Have you checked fo a firmware update to the access point that might make it XP compatiable. It's possible that these devices need to be made XP SP2 compatible. I dunno. It's a place to check. It seems that it might be something Microsoft did intentionally since any machine with SP2 i've seen is like that. I can't find a SP1 machine to check though to compare...

What I meant was you can use any of the available positions as long as it correctly matches the one on the WAP. Of course it has to match.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...n/wifisoho.mspx

Table 1 explains what it's all about.

0-3 only applies to WinXP with NO SP installed and corresponds to 1-4 on the WAP.

So using the first available position (0 in XP, 1 in WAP) should work.

But I really think that if possible, use WPA - even if it means having to install SP2 or the wireless update pack and other drivers.

I've never had this problem. On my Linksys routers (yes, I have two), I have one 128-bit key on each router (different of course). All I did was set the key index to 1 on all the laptops in my house and it works fine.

Out of the four fields that are available on the Linksys routers' WEP key list, I filled out the first one and left the others blank. No problems whatsoever! :D

Yep. It will work find if the key index value is 1. But if the Key Index value the network administrator has decided to use with the WEP key is 0. It means you are SOL.

What I have decided to do is reinstall Windows XP, prevent it from updating and see if it doesn't have the key index value I need. Supposedly it should. I have a dual boot and will just remove Windows 2000.

Oh, and I'm accessing someone else's wireless network. They gave me the WEP key, the SSID, and the Key Index of 0 to use. I don't think I can use WPA or reconfigure the access point to my liking. Heh. I'd be pretty shocked if that were the case. That's not very secure at all.