Windows Server 2003 FAQ

valter

1. Q: How to create Roaming User Profiles on Windows Server 2003?

A: On your server, create a folder called Profiles and Share it as Profiles$, set share rights as follows:

Administrators Full Control

Everyone Change

Let's say your server name is Server1. Open Active Directory Users and Computers, open your target users container, double click on the User and click tab Profile. In the field Profile Path type the following:

\\Server1\Profiles$\%username%

Next time the user logs on, his/her profile folder will be automatically created. Now, if you're using Windows Server 2003, open your Group Policy for the domain or just edit the Default Domain Policy (right click on Domain Name in Active Directory Users and Computers, click Properties, click tab Group Policy and then Default Domain Policy or just edit one of your own), navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\User Profiles and locate policy called Add the Administrators security group to roaming user profiles, then set it to Enabled.

• 2 weeks later...

Q: Whats the recommended approach for creating GPOs for a lot of users where you want them to have the same PC setting but different groups have different credentials in running programs i.e.

GP1 = Computer Settings are the same for all users.

GP2 = Stop users from using Windows Messenger for example

GP3 = Allow users to use Windows Messenger

GP4 = Stop users from making changes to Internet Explorer

GP5 = Allow users to make changes to Internet Explorer.

How could i use this scenario without having to create a new GPO for each OU?

Im not sure if my method is right or not but ill let you know how i do it - i make one default GPO for what im doing i.e. i computer settings same for all users - add that to the main OU underneath create another OU and add GP2 (according to your question) create another OU and add GP3 (allows them access to WM with the same PC settings) - hope this helps and gives you the idea

• 4 weeks later...

Q: I moved the H.D.D where Win 2003 Server intreprise edition is installed and put it om another pc, the windows didn't worked whene in put it back in its original PC , it haven't worked

i installed it over it self for repairing

after installation, when trying to login to the adminstrator account as usual a message apear (domain doesn't exist tor can't be contacted try again or call your admistrator)

i have tryed many time , but the problrm is still present

iam sure that the password is correct (the problem is in the administrator account it self not due to wrong password)

please reply me urgently

thanx

khaldoon

installing over itself is never good - its probably messed up the domain settings, along with the moving it to another pc that is.

dont know what sort of network u have there but if its only a small one and they dont mind the down time - i'd wipe it and start from scratch (after backing up the files and info you need)

You could also try removing the AD, and various roles that go with a domain, then installing/setting them up again.

A few ideas for you.

Regards,

N.

• 2 months later...

Q: How do I make an application think it's not running on a Server Operating System? It doesn't help whether I make it think it's WinXP from compatibility options, it detects the Server presence elsewhere. Is there any workaround for this?

Edited by pwner

• 4 weeks later...
What does this pack exactly do? sorry ive never used RyanVMs xp pack but im curious to know whats it about in case its of any interest to me

Both mine and RyanVms update pack intergrate all the latest updates released by microsoft straight onto the installtion CD so there is no need to use the intergrate command or add them to the [GuiRunOnce]. this saves time and Space on your CD or even DVD.. not only do you get all the latest updates that are on Microsoft Update, you get all the updates that you have to request from Microsoft normaly.. this isnt true of mine yet.. there like mini Service Packs just to go on the installation disks... I'd imagine it wouldnt be that hard to make RyanVMs into a Rollup Pack like the one for Windows 2000 done by Gurgelmeyer

• 1 month later...

Is it possible for a computers local profile to be changed to roaming? As of now all of the users log on to their computer locally rather than the domain. I just want them to be able to access their programs on other computers on the network. So far good ol' Remote Desktop has acted as a digital ductape of sorts. btw the server os is Win2003 server and all of the users are using XP Pro.

• 3 months later...
Q: How do I make an application think it's not running on a Server Operating System? It doesn't help whether I make it think it's WinXP from compatibility options, it detects the Server presence elsewhere. Is there any workaround for this?

for what particular game/program?

P.S (IE SUCKS HARD!, Firefox is far better and safer, and heaps more secure)