Wireless Networking

stuffie699

Could someone please help me with my Wireless Networking.

Recently, I purchase a new computer with XP Home Edition, I am a long time 98se user.

I am on a Cable connection, through a router, USR and I have installed the PC card 5416. I took this from my old computer where I did not have a problem with 98se. And this card is still sold on the market.

This is my problem, I can not stay online because I keep getting an error that says my network card is not installed, this happens for approx 2 minutes and then the card will start working again.

I contacted USR with regard to my problem and their tech wrote back that I would need to get an updated driver from the manufactor (idiots they r the manufactor).

There second response was that I should contact the my computer manufactor to solve the problem, which refer me back to USR.

I then contacted Microsoft to see if I was doing something wrong with the installation and sent them the info, they wrote back and told me to contact USR for tech support.

As I am not familiar with XP, can someone please help me.

PS. What is the Odyssey Network Services and the QoS Packet Scheduler because when I am online, (should be all the time), I seem to download about 10 mil every hour, could someone explain to me what keeps downloading. I have shut down all updates or ask before downloading. This makes me feel very unsafe.

Thank you in advance for anyone's help.

PS, the wireless card does pass the compatibility test. :wacko:

Run Windows Update and download any drivers they have available. Your wireless card may be included. Download those and any other updates you need.

Next download Spybot - Search & Destroy and run that because you probably are infested with Spyware or something of that sort. Search Google or www.download.com

Do you have virus protection? Go to www.trendmicro.com and run the Free Online Scan.

Do these things every week. That is the difference between 98se and XP. You should maintain your pc regularly. If that doesn't work you may consider purchasing a better Wireless card that supports Wireless G so you can take better advantage of your cable modem.

KAndle

www.KAndleConsulting.com