Hibernate Option In 98se

• 8 months later...

Ain't got a laptop so I have to be satisfied w/suspend. Ya when powers out so am I :(

I like to reiterate that the Hibernation power management option is only available to

laptop users (like me and my brother) who have installed Win98se and should

not concern users who dont own a laptop. and dont even look for Gape's 98se SP

to add the hibernation feature.

again, suspend/standby is good enough for non-laptop Win98se users.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to add that I no longer feel that way about Hibernation. I forget exactly what that quote of me is from or about, but it is extremely useful on laptop machines. I just don't use it on desktops. There's nothing wrong with the hibernate feature. Most of those things I mentioned in that quote, I don't even do on my own machines. I no longer turn off System Restore either, as it is the only way XP creates entire registry hive backups (without using third party programs such as ERDNT).

before putting any computer [desktop or laptop] computer into Standby or Hibernate mode, remove any CDs or DVDs from the CD/DVD drives. CDs & DVDs that are in the drives keep on spinning and prevent the use of the Standby and Hibernate power management features. also, disable the Auto Insert Notification feature for ALL CD/DVD drives as this feature (when enabled) may also interfere with Standby or Hibernate.

Edited by erpdude8

• 8 years later...

Unfortunately, Win98se allows hibernation ONLY on ACPI-based laptop/notebook computers and NOT desktop computers. If you want hibernation on an ACPI-based desktop machine, upgrade to WinME or WinXP. There's no way to add the hibernate feature on a desktop PC using Win98 SE.

This is not true. I have a Compaq E500 Armada which is not ACPI-based, and I just installed the hibernation feature on it. It might even work on desktops too, but I only have laptops to test on ATM. I am trying to automate the process right now, but have come across a road block.

If you guys want Hibernation on a non based ACPI laptop/notebook and maybe desktop, you must add the reg key below before all of your hardware drivers or there will be IRQ conflicts, crashes and system lockups.

1. Install a clean version of Windows 98 with no drivers added. Make sure you have all of the Win98 cab files save to the drive before continuing.

2. Add the registry key below.

3. Go to Control Panel and click Add New Hardware.

4. Let it scan/detect the hardware and point to the location of the Win98 cab files when asked.

5. Let the files install and then reboot.

6. Install the rest of your hardware drivers.

Thats it, thats all. I tried but can't automate because all other hardware drivers needs to be removed or not installed before hibernation. This has worked on a Dell C600 and Compaq Armada E500 for testing. Both are non based ACPI computers. Enjoy

Credit goes to http://www.helpwithwindows.com/windows98/tune-37.html

REGEDIT4[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Detect]"ACPIOption"=dword:00000001;