Hibernate Option In 98se

Disabling hibernate in XP?  pathetic, Tarun!  soldier1st & Tarun, look up the word

"hibernate" in the Windows help file in Win98se or whatever version of Windows you use.  click on Start, then click on Help and from the Index tab, type in hibernate.

Hibernation a hog?  not on my machines that use WinME and WinXP.  hibernate doesn't use much space unless you are using a relatively small HD or partition.

One good reason to use WinME (aka. Win98 TE) is its built-in hibernate feature.

I NEVER disable hibernation on my brother's laptop computer that has pre-installed XP.  Microsoft made some improvements to the power-management features so that Hibernate is possible on both desktop & laptop PCs that are ACPI-ready and the Windows OS used is either Win2000, ME or XP.

Hibernate used to be called "suspend to disk" because it saves the system state onto the hard drive instead of saving it to memory.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I ask that you do not bash mine.

Why not tell everyone exactly what all you use Hibernate for on your pc, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you can do without it and wind up saving yourself a lot of space that is going to waste. :D

i agree with tarun

every1 is entitled to there opinion,don't take it seriously erpdude8

don't bash everything or you will wind up with nothing,hibernation has it's uses but for me it is useless but maybe not for you,that is an opion not a bash,geez ppl these days..very different then they used to be and i miss those times.oh well.

well sorry soldier1st but I'm showing passion and fire on what I said about hibernation in my first comment (and I'm defending it)! if you really want to see what hibernation does, save a lot of money and buy a laptop computer with xp on it.

then from the Power Options control panel app, enable hibernation and test it out.

someday, you'll need a laptop computer cuz you can take it anywhere and uses less power than a desktop computer!

On my brothers custom-made desktop PC and on his laptop PC both using WinXP, hibernation normally shuts down windows. When I turn on the computers after hibernation it says "Resuming Windows" instead of the normal Windows XP startup splash screen and returns to the desktop a little faster than a normal shutdown and startup process. on my Hewlett-packard pavilion PC with pre-installed WinME, I choose the hibernation option from the shut down menu which shuts down the pc normally, but when I turn on my WinME computer it says "Returning to Windows" instead of the usual Windows ME startup splash screen and gets me to the desktop.

The hibernation feature back in the Win95 & Win98 days only pertained to LAPTOP computers. there was no need for hibernation for DESKTOP computers. The hibernate APM option was there in order to save battery power but it was not enabled by default. a utility provided by the laptop/notebook maker had to be used to setup & enable the hibernation feature in order of it to work correctly.

Like I said before, hibernation in Win98se only works under laptop computers that adhere to the ACPI power management standard. those using a desktop computer with Win98se should not worry about using hibernation as the standby APM feature is good enough for most users using a desktop PC.

if you want to use hibernate on a desktop computer that supports ACPI, use Win2000, ME or XP which have built-in hibernation support in these versions of Windows. not even MDGx's 98SE2ME pack can add the hibernate APM feature because the APM drivers in WinME are ME specific, just like DOS 8 is WinME specific.

Enter your Control Panel and go to Power Options. It's listed under the Power Schemes tab.

well m8 i get 3 options

1.home/desktop

2.portable/laptop

3.always On

which 1 shud i click on?or do i need 2 install the service pack?

Enter your Control Panel and go to Power Options. It's listed under the Power Schemes tab.

well m8 i get 3 options

1.home/desktop

2.portable/laptop

3.always On

which 1 shud i click on?or do i need 2 install the service pack?

You can configure them as you wish. Each item will go to system standby as you wish.

Mine shows it as follows:

Turn off monitor:

Turn off hard disks:

----------------------

System Standby:

So you would set those values to what best suits your needs. I have my LCD monitor go to standby after 15 minutes, hard disks set to never since I host voicechats as a server, and system standby to never.

If your system supports it you can configure it to whatever suits your personal needs.

tarun m8 does suspend in win98se mean system standby if yes then i do agree qith erpdude that hibernate is a gud option

Yes, Suspend and Standby are the same thing.

I find Hibernate to really be useless. I leave my pc running all day when I'm home, and if I go out I just save my things (if anything major) and shut down. I'd rather know I have my data and work saved fully, than to risk shutting down and the potential for lost data.

that's your opinion Tarun. but your earlier comments about hibernate being a waste of time and a waste of space is an outrage and an insult to people like me and my bro who use the hibernate feature on a portable laptop computer. i find hibernation useful, especially on an acpi-based laptop with win2k/xp.

perhaps Tarun too, like I told sodier1st should get a portable laptop with xp on it and check out what hibernate does on a laptop, then he'll have a different take on the hibernate feature. sure it may not be useful from some or when using hibernate on a desktop, but on a laptop it can sometimes be a power saver and a time saver when used judiciously.

sure it may seem like bashing, but Tarun & soldier1st will have to take some heat/criticism from me for what they said about the hibernate feature.

hibernate a waste of space? come on. that Doom 3 game from ID software takes up 2.2Gb of HD space and the hibernate file in W2k/XP uses the same amount of space as the physical amount of RAM installed. and you're telling people that hibernate is a waste of space? if that's the case, then get a bigger hard drive like one of those monstrous 80Gb or higher drives. space is barely a non-issue for me because I use large HDs on my machines.

Technoguy, you won't see the hibernate option in win98se unless you run win98se

on a portable laptop computer. if you are using a desktop or a server machine that runs win98, you don't need hibernate and standby is good enough to use. I like both the StandBy and Hibernate APM features.

I want to make it crystal clear that Win98 fe/se has the hibernation option only on portable laptop computers and not desktop computers. if hibernate doesn't appear in win98se's Power Management control panel app AND you are using a laptop PC, then the laptop PC may not either support it or it may not be turned on by default. most but not all laptops with pre-installed Win98se have the hibernate option so check with the laptop manufacturer on how to turn on the hibernation feature.

hibernation useless Tarun? maybe on a desktop PC but on a laptop/notbook PC, hibernation is a real gem. so you're still a little off there.

if soldier1st & Tarun would have used the word "unreliable" to describe the hibernate feature, or if they accurately say that "hibernate is unreliable..." then I won't have a problem with that and I will be less harsh on my criticism.

You realize that Hibernation is available on ALL versions of XP and such, correct? It's also on Windows ME. I believe it can be found on Windows 2003, and so forth. I don't use it so I couldn't tell you.

Now, what perks do you gain from Hibernation? Mmm, let's see. You might gain a whole two seconds as you boot up your pc. Whoooa, that's just so much faster. Look! My Winamp song will resume EXACTLY where I left off! I can resume at 3:12 on my song! (Yeah, I'm really going to remember what they were singing about there. I'd rather restart the song and hear it in full.)

Back to reality... Wow, that was thrilling. I can save the space on my hard drive, regain resources by not using Hibernation. It's a lot better to save your work, than to power down. You run the risk of losing data to bad sectors on the hard drive anywhere. Now, you're going to tell me that you may take up 2Gb (generalized number) of data on your hard drive to let you boot up a few seconds faster and let everything "pick up" where you left off. Yet you can just as easily save those 2Gb by disabling Hibernation, saving your documents etc (this wouldn't even take up the 2gb of space or however much Hibernation designates to take up). By taking up the lesser space you lessen the risk of data loss to bad sectors.

See where I'm going with this? Hard drive's are probably the worst piece of hardware inside of a pc. They are the largest bottlenecks in terms of speed and such. Even with a WD Raptor HD you still won't really know what a high end processor with lots of RAM installed would really FEEL like.

According to my computer, on a 160GB SATA WD hard drive it would take up 2,046MB of space to use Hibernate. I've used Hibernate before. I found it totally useless and a waste. It's a joke. I have yet to hear a tech say that Hibernation is a good feature, that it's useful and more.

The perks only apply to mobile computing, pretty much. Desktops shouldn't really waste their time with it.

In the past, Windows' Hibernation and sleep abilities were always so limited, buggy, and dangerous (ME is a perfect example pending on what you had running). XP kind of does ok, but it really only matters in mobile computing. You can shut the lid of your laptop, unplug the power cord, not having to worry about the battery draining all fast. Then moving to your new location, set up, open the lid, and resume where you were in much slightly less time than starting all over again. Though standby with laptops only takes 1% of the battery every 6 hours. That sounds far better than Hibernation to me. Just having the lid closed puts the system into standby as well.

Most mobile systems tend to boot pretty slowly (in XP). This is why you'd want to tweak your system and remove unneeded items, stop certain unnecessary services and more.

Macintoshes however have flawless power management and hibernation support (as they should, since the OS, drivers, and basic hardware are from the same mfr - Apple!). There may have been bugs in the past, but OS X is flawless about it. But this is for Windows, not Macs. ;)

Tarun, the 1 thing your forgeting here is we're all individuals, the pros & cons of doing it one way or the other is purely subjective, what matters is what the individual is happy with, unless, of course, your going to furnish us all with brand new computers, and that will only last for a short time. So all you say against hibernation/suspend is totally moot/irrevelevant :)

Tarun, the 1 thing your forgeting here is we're all individuals, the pros & cons of doing it one way or the other is purely subjective, what matters is what the individual is happy with, unless, of course, your going to furnish us all with brand new computers, and  that will only last for a short time. So all you say against hibernation/suspend is totally moot/irrevelevant :)

It was given from my standpoint, then what most others would use it for. This was taken into consideration. ;)

hey, if you guys don't want to use the hibernate feature that's fine with me.

I don't use that feature much on desktop machines but I use hibernate more on

a laptop machine because I want it to be more energy efficient and I care about

having energy efficient machines and dont want them to be "energy hogs"

am I the only person in this thread that uses laptops? nice that Technoguy agrees

with me though i wonder if he uses a desktop or laptop pc.

guess my bro and I are fortunate to have a laptop and we can use it in a power outage since it can operate in either ac power or battery power.