Hibernate Option In 98se

well m8 if i stopped a song playing on 3:15 by using hibernate option in Xp when i reboot puter it starts from there only.does the suspend option do the same thing.if ya just tell me how 2 insert it in win98se

Hmmm,don't know answer for sure, when come out of suspend, its where I left it, I didn't install, when I put in new mobo it came up on menu, old mobo did not support but shutdown & reboot??? Think its a hardware thing w/drivers & such :unsure: Maybe someone else can explain better

I don't really know XP, but AFAIK hibernate just introduces suspend to disk option.

Make sure your mobo drivers are correct, those are the most important, providing your mobo supports it. On my current 98 box, standby works great and springs out when I move the mouse, on other boxes its worked different, mostly going into standby and having no way of getting out :(

hibernate is useless,suspend is better.

TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH SOLDIER1ST! HIBERNATE IS A VERY USEFUL FEATURE, FAR BETTER THAN SUSPEND AND FAR BETTER THAN SHUTTING DOWN AND TURNING ON PC AFTER THE SHUTDOWN!

Unfortunately, Win98se allows hibernation ONLY on ACPI-based laptop/notebook computers and NOT desktop computers. If you want hibernation on an ACPI-based desktop machine, upgrade to WinME or WinXP. There's no way to add the hibernate feature on a desktop PC using Win98 SE.

Hibernate shuts down the PC as normal but when you turn on the PC again, it will return to your desktop exactly as you left it.

Be aware that there are some apps and devices that can prevent you from entering either StandBy or Hibernate power management modes. You'll have either disable or remove those problem apps or devices in order to use the power management functions.

TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH SOLDIER1ST! HIBERNATE IS A VERY USEFUL FEATURE, FAR BETTER THAN SUSPEND AND FAR BETTER THAN SHUTTING DOWN AND TURNING ON PC AFTER THE SHUTDOWN!

Unfortunately, Win98se allows hibernation ONLY on ACPI-based laptop/notebook computers and NOT desktop computers. If you want hibernation on an ACPI-based desktop machine, upgrade to WinME or WinXP. There's no way to add the hibernate feature on a desktop PC using Win98 SE.

Hibernate shuts down the PC as normal but when you turn on the PC again, it will return to your desktop exactly as you left it.

Be aware that there are some apps and devices that can prevent you from entering either StandBy or Hibernate power management modes. You'll have either disable or remove those problem apps or devices in order to use the power management functions.

It truthfully is useless. Even if you're a power user. You're far better off just saving your projects and shutting down normally than wasting space with "hibernate".

Hibernation is a hog in many ways.

This came from a true expert technician, notice the first thing he says to disable on an XP machine.

Disable Hibernation, turn off system restore, disable UPNP (if on), set Visual Effects options to 'Adjust for best performance' but leave 'show window contents while dragging', defragment the hard drive, page file (if any) and MFT (plus NTFS' extended journal, bad cluster log, etc) using Raxco Perfectdisk 7 (trial at raxco.com, but p2p has full versions available), disable time synchronization, disable the indexing service (if on), disable IE's script debugging (if on), install RyanVM.net versions of things like Acrobat 7 (don't use 6!) and Java, disable SSDP discovery service...

do not ever use msconfig to disable services, only use services.msc (start, run, services.msc). and for some services, it is better to use standard UI to disable them instead of using services.msc, such as with System Restore (only disable it through My Computer-> Properties)

i totaly agree with tarun,hibernation is a complete waste,it is better to save your work then use it,what if you had a power failure,all ur stuff in memory would be gone,if you had saved it then it would not be gone.

It truthfully is useless. Even if you're a power user. You're far better off just saving your projects and shutting down normally than wasting space with "hibernate".

Hibernation is a hog in many ways.

This came from a true expert technician, notice the first thing he says to disable on an XP machine.

Disable Hibernation, turn off system restore, disable UPNP (if on), set Visual Effects options to 'Adjust for best performance' but leave 'show window contents while dragging', defragment the hard drive, page file (if any) and MFT (plus NTFS' extended journal, bad cluster log, etc) using Raxco Perfectdisk 7 (trial at raxco.com, but p2p has full versions available), disable time synchronization, disable the indexing service (if on), disable IE's script debugging (if on), install RyanVM.net versions of things like Acrobat 7 (don't use 6!) and Java, disable SSDP discovery service...

do not ever use msconfig to disable services, only use services.msc (start, run, services.msc). and for some services, it is better to use standard UI to disable them instead of using services.msc, such as with System Restore (only disable it through My Computer-> Properties)

Disabling hibernate in XP? pathetic, Tarun! soldier1st & Tarun, look up the word

"hibernate" in the Windows help file in Win98se or whatever version of Windows you use. click on Start, then click on Help and from the Index tab, type in hibernate.

Hibernation a hog? not on my machines that use WinME and WinXP. hibernate doesn't use much space unless you are using a relatively small HD or partition.

One good reason to use WinME (aka. Win98 TE) is its built-in hibernate feature.

I NEVER disable hibernation on my brother's laptop computer that has pre-installed XP. Microsoft made some improvements to the power-management features so that Hibernate is possible on both desktop & laptop PCs that are ACPI-ready and the Windows OS used is either Win2000, ME or XP.

Hibernate used to be called "suspend to disk" because it saves the system state onto the hard drive instead of saving it to memory.

Read MS article 197739 on the Different Advanced Power Management States:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;197739

this article applies to Win98 & ME only.

for those using Windows XP, here's their version of the Different Advanced Power Management States article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;308535

for those using Windows 2000, see this article on how to set Win2k into using

Hibernation mode:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;308098

if there are apps that interfere with hibernate, I close them and I can leave Windows Explorer open before I can go into hibernate mode.

I don't believe that crap from DjLizard's quote! maybe he's using an unreliable PC that can't handle power management features.

I used to own an NEC machine that has Win98se (though is uses APM instead of

ACPI). gave it to my aunt several years ago. Suspend is now called Standby in Win98 fe/se. Standby works well under that old Win98se machine as well as on the newer, faster WME/WXP machines I have.

randiroo76073, if you want to know what hibernate does, get a laptop computer that has pre-installed XP on it.

I'm not sure what OS you're on, but when my puter[98se tweaked] goes into suspend & wakes up,  my desktop is just like I left it when I got up from my chair  :rolleyes: I've never had hibernate so I wouldn't know the diff!

That's what suspend does. Hibernate is very much the same except it allows you to power down your machine. It seriously is a bad joke.

guys ok but if i can't add hibernate in win98 se how can suspend option be added could ya guide me cause i got info of the service pack for win98SE just 3 days back.

Enter your Control Panel and go to Power Options. It's listed under the Power Schemes tab.