Ris Flat Image Only

Let me see if I can explain this correctly.

My goal is to use RIS and one flat image only. I've found that riprep images are rather large in size and to fix this, I'm trying to use a single flat CD image to do the installations. My environment contains about 60 different hardware system configurations. So I would put all these hardware specific drivers under the $oem$\$1\System1;$oem$\$1\System2;$oem$\$1\System3.. folders and have 60 different .sif files located in the template directory. I'd just choose the appropriate .sif and have it copy over the correct drivers during install. I know I'd have to copy each and every third party nic to the flat i386 folder too.

Does this sound efficient?

Has anyone else done such a task?

Any suggestions.

Chris-

We've got many different hardware configs and the only reason we require different .sif files is because I haven't found a way to include multiple SCSI controllers in a sif without causing a problem. See attachment for folder structure we use..yours would be fine also. And i inlcude all the drivers in the .sif so that only one is needed accross multiple hardware confings.

Hope this helps

[unattended]

OemPreinstall = Yes

OemPnpDriversPath=\Drivers\Intelinf;\Drivers\Nic\e1000;\Drivers\Nic\evo;\Drivers\Nic\pro100ve;\Drivers\Nic\100vedos;\Drivers\Nic\pro100;\Drivers\Nic\pro1000;\Drivers\Nic\gx260\1000;\Drivers\Nic\Toshiba3000;\Drivers\Nic\broadcom4401;\Drivers\Nic\netextreme;\Drivers\Nic\Nvidia;\Drivers\Nic\3com\3c940;\Drivers\Nic\3com\MiniPCI;\Drivers\Nic\Pro2100;\Drivers\Nic\E100B;\Drivers\Nic\VAIO;\Drivers\Nic\latitude600;\Drivers\Nic\l600;\Drivers\Nic\IBMThinkM50;\Drivers\Nic\IntelPro1000MT;\Drivers\Nic\sonasmc;\Drivers\Nic\smc;\drivers\sound\soundmax;\drivers\sound\evosoundmax;\drivers\sound\cmedia;\drivers\sound\cm288;\drivers\sound\T40SoundMax;\drivers\sound\realtek;\drivers\IntelInf;\drivers\ibm_TP30\video;\drivers\ibm_TP30\tackp;\drivers\ibm_TP30\IntelInf;\driver\video\toshiba3000;\drivers\video\ATICatalyst;\drivers\video\nVidia5664;\drivers\video\nVidia;\Drivers\Nic\gx260\1000;\Drivers\video\toshiba3000;\Drivers\modem\TP40;\Drivers\Nic\MarvelYukonGigE;\Drivers\GX280\Other\Intelchipset\xp;\Drivers\Dell\GX280\NIC\Broadcom570xGigabit\WinXP\v7.86;\Drivers\GX280\Audio\ADI198xIntegratedAudio\SMAXWDM\W2K_XP;\Drivers\GX280\Video\Intel915G\win2000;\Drivers\GX280\Video\RadeonX300\Driver\2KXP_INF;\Drivers\GX280\Video\RadeonX300SE\Driver\2KXP_INF

I'm not sure I understand how your method keeps all the folders system1 through system60 from being copied to the hard disk.

This is something I've been thinking about testing, unfortunately a few other projects need to be taken care of first. Would it be possible to have multiple folders under $OEM$ that do not get copied over (I'm assuming that a folder named, for example, GX260 won't get copied over) and have the batch file that starts the install rename that folder to $1. You would only be able to install a singe model at a time this way, but you wouldn't need to copy every driver over to every machine this way.

You could edit your OSC files to allow you to choose which SIF you would like to use. That would be the easiest way.

Other than that, you really don't have to have multiple SIFs. Simply place all of your drivers and set a path and your system will use the correct driver. Copying all of the drivers over will take a little more time, but not a whole lot longer. You will find a great deal of the drivers are probably included in XP to begin with.

Would it be possible to have multiple folders under $OEM$ that do not get copied over (I'm assuming that a folder named, for example, GX260 won't get copied over)

My understanding is that only the folders you put in thr OEMPath would get copied. Is this not the case?

Anything under $OEM$\ will get copied over, I've included a batch file to delete the drivers directory at the end of the RIS process. Yes, unfortunately all the files need to be copied over, at least i haven't found a way around it.