Serial In Installshield Silent

Tinywoods

Though I’ve looked for information about “Serial in InstallShield Silent”, I can not find the solution. Who knows how I can input serial information in Silent install.

Target Applications: Canopus MpegCraft2 and BHA B’s Recorder GOLD8 etc.

I made “setup.iss” using –R. However, I found there is no user information in these two applications' setup.iss. And above two applications are asking to input User information during Silent installation. Two apprications have very similar setup.iss files but no User information, The files are slightly different from Power DVD5 that was discussed in MSFN. http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t11115.html

What I need to input are UserName, CompanyName and Serial.

I use “-s” application switches for Silent install.

Setup.iss

[InstallShield Silent]
Version=v7.00
File=Response File
[File Transfer]
OverwrittenReadOnly=NoToAll
[{A35CAAAB-5977-400C-B355-AC0A51EE2352}-DlgOrder]
Dlg0={A35CAAAB-5977-400C-B355-AC0A51EE2352}-SdWelcome-0
Count=6
Dlg1={A35CAAAB-5977-400C-B355-AC0A51EE2352}-SdLicense2-0
Dlg2={A35CAAAB-5977-400C-B355-AC0A51EE2352}-SdConfirmRegistration-0
Dlg3={A35CAAAB-5977-400C-B355-AC0A51EE2352}-SdStartCopy2-0
Dlg4={A35CAAAB-5977-400C-B355-AC0A51EE2352}-SdFinishReboot-0
Dlg5={A35CAAAB-5977-400C-B355-AC0A51EE2352}-MessageBox-0
[{A35CAAAB-5977-400C-B355-AC0A51EE2352}-SdWelcome-0]
Result=1
[{A35CAAAB-5977-400C-B355-AC0A51EE2352}-SdLicense2-0]
Result=1
[{A35CAAAB-5977-400C-B355-AC0A51EE2352}-SdConfirmRegistration-0]
Result=1
[{A35CAAAB-5977-400C-B355-AC0A51EE2352}-SdStartCopy2-0]
Result=1
[Application]
Name=B.H.A B's Recorder GOLD8 8.00
Version=8.00.000
Company=B.H.A
Lang=0011
[{A35CAAAB-5977-400C-B355-AC0A51EE2352}-SdFinishReboot-0]
Result=1
BootOption=0
[{A35CAAAB-5977-400C-B355-AC0A51EE2352}-MessageBox-0]
Result=1
[{279BB525-09E5-4504-B3D9-86DBC172B1B9}-DlgOrder]
Count=0

edit

Below code does not work (it was used in power DVD5)

[{A35CAAAB-5977-400C-B355-AC0A51EE2352}-SdConfirmRegistration-0]
szName=na
szCompany=none
szSerial=******************
Result=1

Hello Tinywoods.

How do you install your software? Does it ask for user information during normal installation? Because everying you do and enter during the record mode (installation using the /r switch) should be recorded to your setup.iss.

Thank you for your response, totoymola.

#1. Yes, these two apps asked for user information when I perform normal instration (to make setup.iss. see#2)

#2. I did D:\BHA_BsRecorderGOLD8\GOLD\setup.exe –R ….like this. ( I also tried “/r”, but there was no difference between two setup.iss files "-R" and "/r")

#3. I did #1and #2 but there was no user information in all setup.iss which I made. Why?

#4. According to http://www.appdeploy.com/tips/detail.asp?id=18,

we can use setup.exe –m1[*****-*****-****-****] command. “****” means serial numbers. However, in my case, it does not work. Though the site explains about -m[file name] command, I do not understand how do I use -m[file name] command. Do I need “-“ before “m” or not.

Hello again. :hello:

#2. I did D:\BHA_BsRecorderGOLD8\GOLD\setup.exe –R ….like this. ( I also tried “/r”, but there was no difference between two setup.iss files "-R" and "/r")
Yes. That is absoulutely true. Some guides say that it is cASe sEnsItiVe, but it's not (at least for now. I'm not sure about the really old InstallShield built softwares). That also applies for the /s. It can be /s, /S, -s or -S. It doesn't really matter.
#4. According to http://www.appdeploy.com/tips/detail.asp?id=18,

we can use setup.exe –m1[*****-*****-****-****] command. “****” means serial numbers. However, in my case, it does not work. Though the site explains about -m[file name] command, I do not understand how do I use -m[file name] command. Do I need “-“ before “m” or not.

Hmmm.. I wish I could help you on that, but I'm not really familiar with that switch. Most of my softwares record the serial in the setup.iss. But if I'm not mistaken, the /m1 switch is for SMS.

I don't know the software that you're trying to install, and I can't test it becuase I don't have it. Anyways, there is a BIG difference between a serial number and a password. Are you sure that your software is asking for a serial number and not a password? There are some developers that use passwords instead of serial numbers. The password is only used in the setup, and not used by the program. It's is similar to the passwords of some SFX installers (I'm sure you're familiar with those). If you're software is asking for a password, it will not be recorded to your setup.iss.

I'm not sure if this will help, but it won't hurt if you'll try using this command:

start /w setup.exe /p"xxxxxxxx" /s

There are cases when /s doesn't work alone. You have to use /f1

start /w setup.exe /p"xxxxxxxx" /s /f1"path_of_your_setup.iss"

:)

totoymola,

It’s a good question. Honestly speaking, I don’t know well about the difference between Serial and Password in packaged products. In my case, I think the application asks for a serial number not a password. Because, after I perform normal installation, I deleted my serial information from a registry. Then, the application asks for a serial again when it starts. It does not work without serial information.

start /w setup.exe /p"xxxxxxxx" /s

There are cases when /s doesn't work alone. You have to use /f1

start /w setup.exe /p"xxxxxxxx" /s /f1"path_of_your_setup.iss"

They also do not work.

@scankurban,

Thank you for advice. Though I've checked C:WIN\Temp (Like a Daemon file) and C:\Program Files (Like Adobe files) but there is no spread file in any folder.

@totoymola

I'm very glad for you help. I'll look for a download site. Pls check PM.

I asked the apps company to let me know the way to perform silent install.

However, BHA refuses to make an answer. Because the way of silent install is not a common. I was surprised. Now a days, even Microsoft support a particular installation.

Have you looked in %usersprofile% as some progs extract and run from there, and even use a folder to load from.

You may find in long term is easier to have a very clean build of XP only, install an msi builder and make your own.

You can then include serial, delete shortcuts etc and will always be silent install.

Dude, not everyone know how to build an msi. And for a big software like this (less than 300mb), it can be really difficult.

Tinywoods, I think the easiest solution here is using autoit for the serial number. This is one of the strangest InstallShield build installer.. Or maybe there's a way to do it that we don't know.

oioldman,

Though I have not checked %usersprofile%, I could not find any install information. I only find some folders in My document and temp folder. But those folders do not have install information. But thank you good suggestion. :yes: I remember some apps save a cope of installer in %usersprofile%.

Now I am trying to make a unattended DVD for my three machines. Those three machine has different CPU, HDD-size, mother board and so on. Every parts are different each other. So, I may not able to use repack tool such as Wise that can make an msi. Because repacker saved registry information that is not able to use other two machines. Right? I’m not sure. But I think so.

I intend to make a DL DVD (8GB) which contain OS, office and twenty apps. It’s my target.

totoymola,

I tried AUTOIT that was very popular in MSFN. I downloaded Ver.2 and Ver.3. Then,……. I gave up!! I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW IT WORKS. :blushing:

I read an AUTOIT help file, I visited an AUTOIT forum and I searched AUTOIT freaks websites. STILL I DON’T UNDERSTAND. :no:

I also could not find out any Japanese website for AUTOIT.

Is there anybody who knows an AUTOIT explanation website with lots of pictures (screen shots) , easy to understand, many samples ?

Regarding BHA B's recorder Gold CD, my target folders are "GOLD", "CLiP" and "DRIVER" three folders, not whole CD file and folders.

Thank you for your seven hundredth posts.

• 6 months later...

Might be a bit late but here is autoitscript for canopus procoder (2.04.02)

Run("setup.exe")
WinWaitActive("Canopus ProCoder 2 Setup","")
Send("{enter}")
WinWaitActive("Canopus ProCoder 2 Setup","LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR CANOPUS PROCODER")
Send("!y")
WinWaitActive("Canopus ProCoder 2 Setup","Please enter your information.")
Send("XXXX")
Send("XXXX")
Send("XXXX")
Send("XXXX")
Send("{enter}")
WinWaitActive("Canopus ProCoder 2 Setup","Destination Folder")
Send("!n")
WinWaitActive("Canopus ProCoder 2 Setup","Select Program Folder")
Send("!n")
WinWaitActive("DivX Pro(tm) Codec Setup","Cancel")
Send("{DOWN}")
Send("{TAB}")
Send("{enter}")
WinWaitActive("DivX Pro(tm) Codec Setup","The Setup process is not complete. If you quit Setup now, DivX Pro(tm) Codec will not be properly installed. Are you sure that you want to quit Setup?")
Send("!Y")
WinWaitActive("Aladdin Device Driver Installation Utility for Win32","")
Send("{enter}")
WinWaitActive("Information","")
Send("{enter}")
WinWaitActive("Canopus ProCoder 2 Setup","Select from the options below.")
Send("{SPACE}")
Send("{DOWN}")
Send("{SPACE}")
Send("!N")
WinWaitActive("Canopus ProCoder 2 Setup","No, I will restart my computer later.")
Send("{DOWN}")
Send("{TAB}")
Send("{enter}")
exit

The 4 " Send("XXXX") " lines are the serial key parts.

This scripts cancels the Divx installation as in this case the included codec was an older version.