Extreme Big Problem

luminoso

Hi...

I am having an extreme big problem on my computer..

Somehow, after i start my windows xp corp sp2 pro, i try to click on a user, to start working with windows.

After that like usual it shows ''loading of definitions..''* and right after that it shows ''saving you settings''* and ''logging out''*!

I can't even work with windows because it doesn't load!

I have no idea what is causing this.. i use kaspersky pro 5.0.20 and sygate has firewall!

I already tried logging in in safe mode, but same thing appends again!

I also tried to scan for viruses in other computer, a W32.Funner was found (funny.exe transmitted by msn messenger) and completely removed (i think...).

Please.. i am looking for any help! I can't imagine format my computer again! I have no way no make any backups! Please.. anything...

Thanks for anything,

Guilherme :no:

i had this exact same problem, it would log me in then log me out and freeze

what i would do is do an xp repair but for me i was still using xp sp1 and it never did it and i didn't use xp sp2 for 2 weeks,guess that for not using it for along time it would konk out on me.

no dont just wipe the drive, backup your data first.

You can Download Knoppix, its a free "Linux Live CD", it loads completely from the CDrom and doesnt touch the hard drive.

You can use this to mount your Hard Drive, and Copy the files to another drive/network location/cd burner.

Heres a Guide on how to do that (its easy):

http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

Edited by DigeratiPrime

You could have also tried to purchase Norton 2005 and boot to their CD and try to clean it with that. I've seen that exact problem and Norton saw 3800 viruses on it. They get written into the System Restore Information and it's hard to recover after that.

Your best bet now is to buy a new hard drive and load that. Add the infected drive as a secondary and clean it. Run virus protection always though. Also Spyware/Adware too. These things will kill an XP machine in that manner if you do nothing.

1) dude, you turn off system restore and then run anti-virus. ;)

2) Norton is garbage, its bloated and not effective relative to other antivirus engines. Ex. Kaspersky, ZoneAlarm, etc. Norton is the AOL of antivirus. :realmad:

3) Spyware and Adaware are "not a problem" if you use Firefox. :thumbup

The best thing for him to do is go start downloading some Linux Boot CD (also note how viruses dont affect linux) copy the good files he wants to some other location, run an antivirus program if he wishes (just for the fun of it), and THEN reformat at the end.

dude if your system is crashed then try turning off system restore... i have seen his problem before. if the vierus isn't cleaned properly it is written to system restore in some cases. Norton makes a boot cd does anyone else? I don't know of one. Firefox or not you can still be infected with spy and adware if you download programs. And there are Linux viruses dummy.

Not to mention if the system is crashed how should they download the CD? Not to mention that every Windows user isn't comtfortable running things under Linux and I was just offering an alternative to reformating and possibly not burn the email files or favorites because of inexpierence. Or for whatever reason...

i meant it lightly. ;)

Even if Linux has '2' viruses (I think thats right), he should be able to use almost any Linux LiveCD including Knoppix, to safely and easily backup his data. [edit] Also you would need root access, this makes it highly improbable.

I know of the BartPE Avast CD (exp), and BitDefender LinuxDefender Live! (free) BootCD's.

[edit] didnt notice you second post.

If he can post, he probably download the distro, or use a public library, or ask a freind to download it. Its a good thing to have.

Also worth mentioning is there are decent Free anti virus scanners, just advising not using Norton.

I use Trend Micro myself it's just that you can't buy that at Staples. Norton is good and easy to come by. I really like the Corporate Edition & the Exchange scanner when I have dealt with them in the past. I don't trust free virus protection much though. I want to know they are working on making it a better product and not trying to pay their bills through other ventures. Do you know of anything free for Exchagne though? I'll try it if you do. :D I am going to try those AV CD's too, thanks. I didn't mean to be a jerk I just didn't think your comments related to the original problem. :whistle: Well thanks all the same.

And there are Linux viruses dummy.
Even if Linux has '2' viruses (I think thats right), he should be able to use almost any Linux LiveCD including Knoppix, to safely and easily backup his data. [edit] Also you would need root access, this makes it highly improbable.

Another point, there are very few virus's that effect BOTH Windows and Linux. That is why a Linux boot disc is a good choice if he beleives that his Windows computer has virus's on it.