D Drive In The Server Having Problem

whatf

hi,

i have a windows 2003 server computer wich has 1 hard disk installed with 2 partitions (C and D).

whenever someone from the network tries to deletes a file from the shared folders in D drive of the server, the server becomes unstable and hangs. i checked the performance monitor and it shows a high average disk.sec/transfer and a high average disk.sec/write on drive D.

what is the problem? please don't tell me the hard disk is damaged or having bad sectors because it is new! :(

thank you all,

You have a Windows Server 2003 with one hard drive? :unsure:

Is this Hard Drive a SCSI or IDE/SATA?

I would recommend you adding another Hard Drive for file sharing - leaving the C/D for Windows Server's own use.

I would always recommend a SCSI RAID controller with three 72GB U320 SCSI Hard Drives with a minimum of two containers for all Windows 2003 Servers.

BTW - the activity you are getting whilst users are 'deleting' files sounds like the Volume Shadow service is following the deletions to enable users to 'undelete' or retrieve deleted files later on. - more info here

thank you andrew.

it's a small office actually and we are using it for testing porpuses only. that's why i'm not using a SCSI hard disk.

for the volume shadow services, you are right, it is being used but i don't think it is normal that the server get hang with the use of volume shadow copies