Error At 15mins With Gosh Dosnet.inf Method

gilesw

Hello all I get this error at 15mins "windows cannot load internet configuration utility icfgnt.dll . the specified module could not be loaded." I've read on this forum that this relates to unsigned drivers somehow. I've tried the source cd that i used with xpcreate and it works fine.

by the gosh method i mean running winnt32.exe /noreboot from a network share to install the install files to the local machine. I'm then going to image this machine so i can start fresh installs on any machines much quicker. With xpcreate i'm integrating all the xp hotfixes, even the 22feb one in HF1 and wmp10. Does anyone have ideas why this is happening ? I used identical winnt.sif files. I did add some patched files to my xpcreate version but i'm using the UseSignatures="no" line so it should be okay.

any help greatly appreciated,

g.

XPCREATE DOES update DOSNET.INF: perhaps that is where the problem lies. Most often, the problem is not in XPCREATE, but a conflict with other edits, either manual or automatic. As always, first make an XPCREATED CD that is tested and works, and then try your other modifications.

hmm i tried a vanilla xp home oem cd with a winnt32.exe install and i got this same error about the internet connection wizard at 15mins (Without any xpcreate updates.) Are winnt32 installs disabled with oem copies?

g.

• 1 month later...

I've been having exactly this problem (icfgnt.dll not being found at T-15). Interestingly, it only happens if I install by running winnt32, as opposed to booting from the CD. I read somewhere this may be related to the wmp.inf file, somehow. I'll see if I can do anything about this tomorrow - in the mean time, does anyone else have any information or suggestions?

@gilesw

I use 16bit Dos Network Boot and winnt.exe with XP home and have no problems doing an Unattended Install of XP Home over the Network.

I dont use XPcreate to prepare my source files for a network install ( CD install I Do). Rather I used the Unattended CD/DVD Guide to prepare my Source and the I take the svcpack.inf & SVCPACK directory Xpcreate makes for a Zero windows update.

I use 16bit Dos Network Boot and winnt.exe with XP home and have no problems  doing an Unattended Install of XP Home over the Network.

I dont use XPcreate to prepare my source files for a network install ( CD install I Do). Rather I used the Unattended CD/DVD Guide to prepare my Source and the I take the svcpack.inf & SVCPACK directory Xpcreate makes for a Zero windows update.

Hmm... Looks like winnt vs winnt32 changes this somehow? I'm using XP Pro; no modifications apart from slipstreaming SP2 itself and RyanVM's update pack, plus copying in the unattend.txt file as winnt.sif. Exactly the same process *without* RyanVM's pack works perfectly (even after slipstreaming each of the hotfixes manually using /integrate), so now I have a fair idea where to look: something RyanVM changes, which affects winnt32 but not winnt or CD boots...

I am having this same issue with nlite. If I use winnt.exe or install from cdrom not issue, however if I use winnt32.exe from BartPE is vomits all over itself and does not install IE.

I have looked at the differences in the txtsetup.inf, dosnet.inf and didn't see anything glaring. One weird thing is that in my original source, I am not seeing this file either. Does it really exist?

• 2 weeks later...
I am having this same issue with nlite. If I use winnt.exe or install from cdrom not issue, however if I use winnt32.exe from BartPE is vomits all over itself and does not install IE.

I have looked at the differences in the txtsetup.inf, dosnet.inf and didn't see anything glaring. One weird thing is that in my original source, I am not seeing this file either. Does it really exist?

It doesn't seem to, no - it's an obsolete file which used to ship as part of older versions of IE. I did try copying it (having tracked down an old set of IE install files) but that didn't help; my guess is something is getting confused and trying to "upgrade" XP with the version of the Internet Connection Wizard IE shipped in those days?

For now, I'm just staying RyanVM-free - not ideal, but I need winnt32 to work! It's only a minor inconvenience really, except that three hotfixes don't integrate and have to be applied using GuiRunOnceEx instead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...