Removing Both Media Players + Codecs...

jmbattle

titou2k, OK tested with WMV stream and it works on BBC News Headlines as it should. Sorry, got my wires crossed there. :wacko::lol:

jmbattle, that codecs package is exactly what i have been lookin for, wma/wmv, realmedia and quicktime all bundled together with MPC and the ability to stream media in FF.

I`m all for keeping everythig as clean and compact as possible. Some of the cedec packages i have been checking out here are huge, surely they could be stripped back a bit without loosing functionality.

Anyway, it sounds very good to me, if you decide to go for it i would be happy to help in the testing.

In fact, I'm seriously considering putting together some sort of nLite codecs package that consists of *just* the files required to play WMA/WMV, RealMedia and QT content in Firefox/MPC.

I made myself codec packs for all three formats (RP, QT and WMP), although now I use I now use titou2k's pack and works perfectly, but if you search in this forum I had made a few post some time ago (I believe in nLite 0.99.4 thread) in which I made some research about files that are really required. Not sure if some additional files could be further removed from the pack and retain full functionality.

For Realplayer, search for a recent post I made about that topic, listing all files and registry entries required. You can also search for a very old similar post I made in the winamp forums a few years ago. However I have not fully trimmed down and tested what are the minimal files required. For instance, I did not try removing files under the plugins, common and codecs folders. For rpplugins folder I did i.e. the files I mention are the minimum required, same for keys.dat one level above, it is required. Reg keys are also trimmed down to the bare minimum. I guess we could get rid of some of the files under the folders I mention above, since they seem to be, for the most past, additional codecs for more formats, but this is hard to do tough, it would require testing in many many websites to ensure compatibility with any website design.

For Quicktime, I started with the latest Quicktime version, and trimmed down to the bare minimum (files and reg keys).

Files you need are:

C:\Windows\System32\QTPlugin.ocx
C:\Windows\System32\QuickTime.qts
C:\Windows\System32\QuickTimeCheck.ocx
C:\Windows\System32\QuickTime.ax

C:\Windows\System32\Quicktime\QuickTimeEssentials.qtx
C:\Windows\System32\Quicktime\QuickTimeInternetExtras.qtx
C:\Windows\System32\Quicktime\QuickTimeMPEG.qtx
C:\Windows\System32\Quicktime\QuickTimeMPEG4.qtx
C:\Windows\System32\Quicktime\QuickTimeStreaming.qtx
C:\Windows\System32\Quicktime\QuickTimeStreamingAuthoring.qtx
C:\Windows\System32\Quicktime\QuickTimeStreamingExtras.qtx
C:\Windows\System32\Quicktime\QuickTimeVR.qtx
C:\Windows\System32\Quicktime\QuickTimeWebHelper.qtx

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Plugins\npqtplugin.dll

No registry keys needed, just run:

regsvr32 QTPlugin.ocx
regsvr32 QuickTimeCheck.ocx
regsvr32 QuickTime.ax

Coch, wow that's fantastic - great work!

Yes, actually, I recall seeing your RealMedia post the other day and was rather impressed. I'm reasonably confident that the RealAlternative package can be further stripped down just for RealMedia audio/video - I gather there are extra plugins for playing MP3s, viewing JPEG/PNG images etc. which in my opinion are rather pointless when standalone players do the job more efficiently (WinAMP and Irfanview immediately spring to mind...).

The QT stuff looks almost too easy, great stuff!

Actually, I'm a bit of a sucker for keeping a 'clean' system, installing the least amount of software as possible. Even having codecs copied to /system32 is adding extra clutter; I prefer applications that can simply be executed from any path, without having to be re-installed (hence my 'Apps ThatDontNeedToBeReinstalled' folder that contains loads of useful stuff). Ideally, I would could just create a folder called 'Codecs' that contains the necessary WM, QT and RM libraries (and perhaps ffdshow?) and a single batch/.reg file. From here, I would be able to play 99% of all media content without needing to reinstall a package! ;)

Anyway, enough waffle!

Cheers,

James

I have been following it and the package seems to work great on the site mentioned here :) However, I can't seem to get it to work for http://www.big-boys.com/ on this computer. It does work on another computer though. I'm not too sure if I kept media player compatibility with nLite in this installation, would that be the reason why?

I'm not too sure if I kept media player compatibility with nLite in this installation, would that be the reason why?

I don`t keep media player compatibility and it works fine. I think it`s safe to say you can rule that out. :)

Just to let all the Media Player Classic fans know, there is now v6.4.8.4. They are actually developing it again. This time a bug that irritated me for 2 years was finally fixed. It had to do with the volume normalization. The bug was caused by a conflict between MPC and certain sound cards. Go to www.videohelp.com to DL it.

Hi,

I have been removing WMP 9/6.4/codecs with nLite 0.99.8b5. I have forgotten if I removed the compatibility but someone said it doesn't matter anyways so... Next I installed the Codec pack from Titou & placed the stream plugin in the Firefox plugins folder. If I visit streaming content, the WMP gui comes up, and keeps saying : Connecting to media. Whatever URL's I try. Installing WMP10 itself is not possible since I get an error that the latest version is already on my system... I know : I should of kept the whole WMP business but I altered too much to my new installation already to redo the whole thing. Please help me :|

Thanks

Well, both myself and titou2k have successfully removed both of the Media Player components using the latest nLite; I did not tick the 'Media Player Compatibility' option, yet can still play online WMV content in Firefox after researching which dlls are required (and subsequently using titou2k's updated codec pack).

Do you have any website addresses for us to check? Have you tried the BBC's media sites?

Cheers,

James

Hi, the NYC web site does work for me (loads in a few seconds on broadband cable), having removed WMP 6.4 and 9 with nLite. Did yu correctly use the WM10 codec pack and place the plugin dl in the firefox plugin folder? If this was done, I donèt see any reason why it wouldn't work (perhaps the plugin dl is not the correct version?)

Well the codec pack was a simple exe file. Nothing I could do wrong there. Must admit I just randomly searched for the plugin filename on google and downloaded the first thing I found...

orben, Here is the plugin i use, and streaming works for me.

Just to check,

you are using Media Player Classic and have asosiated it with the file extensions,

put npdsplay.dll in the firefox plugins folder

( C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins - depending where you installed firefox )

and installed titou2k codec pack.

If you have done that it should work. Btw i don`t think you need to use MPC, it`s just what i use.