Service Pack Not Compatible

I seem to be stuck with two PCs and a laptop that are using W98SE 4.10.2222A. This OS is probably 4 or 5 years old. The service pack SP20rc1.exe won't run and simply says the package is not compatible with the version Windows you are running. How can I update my SE (thought Microsft wasn't supporting anymore) to the point where I can run the service pack? Thanks.

the sp 2.0 rc2 is not compatible with windows 98 fe but only se,righ click on my computer, select properties and what does it say?if it doesen't say windows 98 se then you will need to install windows 98 se before you can install the sp or if you don't wanna bother with 98 then goto xp or w2k.

note to robandjeanne:

are you sure your two desktop PCs and laptop PC are really using Win98 SE?

Open a DOS prompt by typing command in the Run dialog box and type ver to display the Windows version. that will display the Windows version. do this in all of your machines.

if it says Windows 98 version 4.10.1998 then it is really Win98 FE and should upgrade to Win98 SE. if it says Windows 98 version 4.10.2222 then it is really Win98 SE and the W98se service pack should work.

the sp will not work on 98 fe but on 98 se,if your using 98 fe why r u using that buggy version of 98?time to switch to 98 se or even w2k or xp.

yep, u said it soldier1st. maybe robandjeanne didn't check very well on what version of Win98 he's using on his machines and only says he uses W98SE 4.10.2222A. the SP20rc1.exe file should work for sure if it is run on Win98 se and not Win98 fe. so I find a discrepancy in what robandjeanne said.

98fe has y2k bugs that were fixed in 98se. Even some apps like Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0, RealPlayer 10.5 and Media Player 9 refuse to install under Win98FE and says to use Win98SE before installing these apps.

...and there should be NO excuses whatsoever for SP20rc1.exe SP file to not work under Win98se. It should work. IT MUST WORK! and we're not getting a response from robandjeanne for several days.

if robandjeanne is really using Win98se and he installed the 98se2me pack before installing SP20rc1.exe then it may not work.

I'll have to ask MDGx if installing 98SE2ME pack first prevents installation of the 98se SP 2.0 RC1 pack. i have a hunch that it should not. wonder what is his take.