xp networking

aKaFrEE

ok i need some help networking a 98 comp and an xp comp...we have cox@home so the workgroup and comp names are set up right....before we just used netbeui and tcp/ip and everything worked fine...but now i cant get the 2 compters to talk since ive upgraded 1 of em to xp....and i cant figure out a way to install netbeui on xp....

any suggestions would be greatly appriciated....

-aKaFrEE

If you are trying to share the cable modem you will need a cable router or 2 nic cards in one of the machines using sygate or something like that, even the standard ICS s/ware in xp will work...

If your just wanting a network you dont need netbeui, just set them up with an ip each make sure your using a cable with a twist in or a port on your hub that has a twist...

Can you ping both machines and get a reply...?

Regards,

BAH

each machine has an ip address assigned by cox at home...so the internet part of it works...but we used the net beui so that the comps could talk to each other...so is there another protocal i can use or somthing bc i cant assign the machines an ip myself if i still want my @home access

*the network worked fine when both comps had 98se setup with a cox assigned ip and netbeui set up

*when i switch over to ME on this comp (dual boot) the network is operational...but when i boot into xp i can still get online but i can see that the other comp is there

Guest LouCypher

Is your cable modem connected to one LAN card and do you have a 2nd LAN adaptor for your network or is the cable modem internal? The adaptor on the Internet machine that is connected to the LAN should have an IP address of 192.168.0.1, and the other computers on the LAN should be setup for DHCP instead of a static IP. When you setup XP on the Internet connected machine then you should also setup ICS to share the dialup internet connection for you cable modem, and use the LAN adaptor to share the connection. Make sure all computers are in the same workgroup. You don't need NetBEUI at all to see the other computers on the network.

Make sure Primary Login is set to Client for Microsoft Networks, and they all have File and Print Sharing enabled. When you get the login screen on the non-XP machines make sure there is a corresponding login name and password on the XP machine.

I'm using an XP machine behind a WinME ICS connection, and everybody sees everybody else.

ok...been messin around and still cant get it to work

the hardware setup is as follows

2 NICs and a cable modem plugged into the hub

everything works fine and i can still access the network from ME but when im in xp i cant see the other comp and the other comp cant see me...i tried messin with the settings.... under 98/me i have tcp for the inet access with dns and wins disabled and its setup to recieve the ip address automaticly from cox's dchp server...but since the ip hasnt changed since we have gotten it im about to just type in their ip and see what it does there...(instead of obtaining automatily)...

i would appriciate anyones suggestions.....thanx

• 3 weeks later...