Winpe Vs Bartpe

ShrimpBoy

Hi!

I got so much trouble trying to setup WinPE!

BartPE is fully customizable and as easy as needed!

It's easy to integrate drivers in BARTPE!

The BartPE CD is the best way!

Microsoft have a lot to learn, the PEbuilder is really simple and easy to use and customize, WinPE isn't!

And WinPE is so difficult to obtain legally that BartPE is the only answer.

I integrate all the NIC from Bte Driverpack in 5 seconds..;)

Why the scsi adapter drivers from Bte Driverpack doesn't contain the TXTSETUP.OEM file??????

Thanks to you all!

ShrimpyOne

And it depends on your support contraints. Use WinPE and you can get support from MS. User BartPE and you probably can't. This is an issue in a Corporate environment.

Also, I have not had any issues adding any needed drivers, both NIC and mass storage. yes it took some work, but I needed to do it for a XP setup also.

I too am limited to use WinPE for Corporate liscensing reasons. Although I was first successful and most impressed with Bart's PE You've gota love the slick PEbuilder and how easy it is to incert those plugins and automatically burn it to CD. :thumbup

Now if i can just send it to my USB flash drive. :no: I tried Barts PE2USB script and if failed due to file location issues and missing makeboot.exe on the CD. :unsure: Anyway BartPE seems to be beter by far at the moment, but there is a legality issue which prolly prevents most abiding corporates from using it. :}

• 2 weeks later...

PEBuilder:

Start-menu - Bart's builder gives you a simple, dynamic and powerful start-menu (Nu2Menu, see screenshots). Microsoft's builder does not give you a start-menu, it uses a command prompt.

WinPE:

Feel free to run Progman.exe from inside of WinPE if you want a graphical shell (Windows 3.11 shell program)… the difference here stems from different development philosophies. Bart looked at how to add functionality by increasing size; winpe is about how to remove size and maintain functionality. The shell loses out but there isn’t really a functional loss beyond ease of use.

---

PEBuilder:

Dos support - Bart's builder has a plugin called "dospe".

WinPE:

This is something that WinPE does not provide… Is there a real need? What DOS apps do you need to run from your 32 bit environment?

---

PEBuilder:

64-Bit - Bart's builder does not support Windows 64-bit editions

WinPE:

WinPE supports 64 bit platforms (ia64 and amd64)

---

PEBuilder:

Network support - PE Builder includes it's own network support tools (bartpe/penetcfg) to start TCP/IP and Microsoft Client. The TCP/IP settings like: dynamic/static ip-address, subnet-mask, default gateway, dns-servers computer-name, workgroup can be changed on-the-fly. You can create pre-defined profiles, that you can select. Microsoft winPE only supports DHCP or fixed settings using winbom.ini.

WinPE:

WinPE with xpsp2 has support for (among other things) WMI, which can provide the same sort of dynamic manipulation of machine info (static ip, dns, etc).

---

PEBuilder:

Build from - Bart's builder can also build from Windows XP Home Edition or from a preinstalled Windows XP version (without CD).

WinPE:

That’s a neat trick, but is it really an advantage?

Licensing issues aside, I just don't see what BartPe provides that WinPE does not.

I'm not looking for an OS -- I've got XP for that. WinPE is there for recovery and installation. Sherpya's plugin site looks "neat" but not really usefull for what WinPE is there for.

yeah i understand that, i don't want another operating system, i only want to restore/recover files from a ntfs partition on my sata drive. i got this with bartpe and it wasn't possible (at least easy) with winpe.

PEBuilder:

Start-menu - with XPe plugin you got exactly the same interface that with winpe. a taskbar, startmenu and you can call any program from the run dialog plus the classic customizable nu2menu

PEBuilder:

Dos support - full DOS support

PEBuilder:

64-Bit - i'm not a fan of 64bits, there even isn't a full 64bits system so for me and for the 85% (maybe more) of desktops users this is unnecessary

PEBuilder:

Network support - most of what you need, you probably can configure a local net sharing and with plugins you can add drivers for your modem (if they're not included on sp2)

PEBuilder:

Build from - is a really nice advantage. i could use my uA CD to build my PE system, meaning that all what i integrated on my uA is also integrated on my PE system: mass storage support, system files hacks and replacements...

I think that alot of people are forgetting that Windows PE (either Barts version or the Microsoft OPK) is a means to an end. It was never ment to be used as an operating system with application suites installed. Thats why there are so many limitations built in.

PE was origionally only avaliable to OEM vendors and application developers. Which is why it is so basic and customizable. Development is required to produce the end product.

Each has advantages and disadvantages.

Support and license compliance being the biggest factor in the corporate community.

Chris

Actually, WinPE was also available to Microsoft's Software Assurance customers pretty early on. Not immediately upon XP's release, but pretty close thereafter.

But your point is very true, that most people complaining about the shortcomings of WinPE (which is architecturally the same thing as BartPE, sans the reverse-engineered build process) are misunderstanding it's original goals. It was not intended to be an embedded OS. That's what Windows XP Embedded was for. PE was meant for preinstallation - deployment, recovery, and diagnostics.

@ChrisBaksa & @getwired, yours is a really valid point, in fact is why i started using bartpe.

thing is that bartpe adds a lot of more functionality than winpe. you got the same plus new features you can use to recover/restore/replace your system