How-to: Integrate And Shrink Nero + Nve

but please remove your serial number from your batch file
Done
and mention that the changes you've made was edited by you.
is already done in the .pdf-file. just look at the bottom of the file.
And as a courtesy, please provide a link so users who want to view my original guide can do so http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=40518&st=0
will add that

Great stuff... pity I now decided I dont need/want Recode... My Zodiac (Palm machine) wont play 25fps videos so Recode is no use....
Done. Updated my new version to remove Recode.
You could use the batch method i wrote (Details here) ...

Felix, this is not a knock on you or your hard work, but I think that your foundation (ZileXa method) is flawed.

ZileXa method simply does not account for the vast number of registry changes that occurs during Nero setup. Granted some applications respective reg entries are superfluous. But take CoverDesigner for example, it registers an ActiveX Control which without going thru the normal setup process those reg keys will not be created. Have a look at my cleanup script for Nero/NVE and you'll know what I'm talking about. And those are only the keys I want to get rid of, the number of keys I want to keep are just as many.

In addition, you lose some functionality and plugin capablities as well.

I've tried ZileXa method and first impressions were okay, but upon further testing some functions such as recoding a non-compliant SVCD or VCD video simply fails.

Again, no disrespect for your work, just mentioning some facts and some experiences I had.

Great stuff... pity I now decided I dont need/want Recode... My Zodiac (Palm machine) wont play 25fps videos so Recode is no use....

Done. Updated my new version to remove Recode.

You could use the batch method i wrote (Details here) ...
Felix, this is not a knock on you or your hard work, but I think that your foundation (ZileXa method) is flawed.

ZileXa method simply does not account for the vast number of registry changes that occurs during Nero setup. Granted some applications respective reg entries are superfluous. But take CoverDesigner for example, it registers an ActiveX Control which without going thru the normal setup process those reg keys will not be created. Have a look at my cleanup script for Nero/NVE and you'll know what I'm talking about. And those are only the keys I want to get rid of, the number of keys I want to keep are just as many.

In addition, you lose some functionality and plugin capablities as well.

I've tried ZileXa method and first impressions were okay, but upon further testing some functions such as recoding a non-compliant SVCD or VCD video simply fails.

Again, no disrespect for your work, just mentioning some facts and some experiences I had.

Hi vcBlackBox,

I take no ofference and appeciate your feedback and comments. I agree there is a lot of issues with the base implementation, and i am slowly working through them. I like challenges :) It was like the recode issue - everyone said you can't do it that way it will not work... well after much testing and monitoring i found the dll's that needed to be registed. When you register the dll's a huge number of registry entries are generated. Anyway it is an alternative method and i am working through the problems and bugs as they come to hand. I haven't given up yet :) and there hasn't been anything that i haven't been able to solve yet....

Having a look at your work, i take my hat off to you - very good stuff... and i need to look more closely at it when i get some time... may give me some ideas on how to resolve some other stuff for my variant.

Anyway take care and thanks again for your comments.

radical idea..why not work TOGETHER???

Well first of all, my guide is pretty much completed.

I've stated its purpose and I've laid out the instructions as straight-forward as I could.

I don't hear too many people complaining about my guide or my scripts, so I'm assuming it's working for them and there's no bugs.

Felix is working on his own variant which I wish him luck. But other than that, you have a choice right now -- a completed guide or a work-in-progress.

Felix, if you have any questions PM me.

@vcBlackBox:

There is a faster (simpler) method for this, wich doesn't use 0-byte files or a script...

I explained it here: Shrinking Nero easily without Zero-byte files

This method is based on the fact Nero doesn't need installation at all... only extraction and some registry entries. I don't really understand why people still use the 0-byte method :D

It would make your guide easier and ofcourse no new script is needed when a new version comes out :)

ZileXa :whistle: I just mentioned your method a couple of post back.

This method is based on the fact Nero doesn't need installation at all... only extraction and some registry entries.
Not true. If you want full functionality and plug-in capabilities, Nero needs to go thru the normal setup process, because it does make a lot of relevant registry changes.
I don't really understand why people still use the 0-byte method
It's the best method currently that will bypass Nero's encrypted setup routine. If we could edit the setup.cfg, we won't need 0-byte files.
It would make your guide easier and ofcourse no new script is needed when a new version comes out.
My scripts are not tied to any particular Nero or NeroVision versions.

The foundation has been established, therefore future versions may require only slight modifications to maintain optimum compression, but the existing scripts should still function correctly.

I didn't know I had lost some functionality... Just read all the pages, Felix states recording a non-compliant SVCD or VCD simply fails with my method... didn't know about that either! I might consider using the 0byte method instead... but personally I never bumped into any problems with my method... maybe other people who use my uwcd will :whistle:

btw just read felix' topic... hahaha I haven't been on topics about Nero for a very long time I guess.. many things have changed... didn't know about felix script!

So forget my comments!

Seems a great system but as always there are some suggestions (some you have probably thought of already):

Will it still work properly if no NVE is installed but just Recode for example?

Could steps 1-3 be automated? It seems straightforward batch work?

Could the script ask questions? "Do you want to install Nero Showtime(Y/N)" and process accordingly?

Finally it could ask if you have 7Zip or WinRar installed and which you wish to use to make the re-packaged Nero Install.

"Remove Nero PhotoSnapViewer/ShowTime hijacked file associations and restore Windows XP defaults" - if this could be set to restore to whatever you had BEFORE Nero installation then it would not interfere with installing WMP Classic - I guess right now it puts every association back to MS's bloated WMP8/9/10 ?

I guess right now it puts every association back to MS's bloated WMP8/9/10 ?

Not for me. It put them all back to no association and when I opened a video file, it asked me which program I would like to use to open it.

To rectify this problem I made a .reg file that restores the defaults to Winamp for all my audio files and Media Player Classic for all my video files. Just export the extensions from HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and it works perfectly. Now that .reg file just executes after installation.

ZileXa  :whistle: I just mentioned your method a couple of post back.
This method is based on the fact Nero doesn't need installation at all... only extraction and some registry entries.
Not true. If you want full functionality and plug-in capabilities, Nero needs to go thru the normal setup process, because it does make a lot of relevant registry changes.

nero doesn't need any installation however nerovision express needs registering dlls etc

Seems a great system but as always there are some suggestions (some you have probably thought of already):

Will it still work properly if no NVE is installed but just Recode for example? Have not tested.

Could steps 1-3 be automated? It seems straightforward batch work? Yes

Could the script ask questions? "Do you want to install Nero Showtime(Y/N)" and process accordingly? Yes

Finally it could ask if you have 7Zip or WinRar installed and which you wish to use to make the re-packaged Nero Install. Yes

I'll look into it.

"Remove Nero PhotoSnapViewer/ShowTime hijacked file associations and restore Windows XP defaults" - if this could be set to restore to whatever you had BEFORE Nero installation then it would not interfere with installing WMP Classic - I guess right now it puts every association back to MS's bloated WMP8/9/10 ?

Restoring the default file association is your choice. You could leave them blank like Se7eNdUsT suggested.

It is difficult script-wise to restore them to what you had earlier, because Nero changed the defaults.

If you want to keep your file-associations, this page http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=31407 may help.

In the meantime for your Unattended CD, you can keep your file associations for WMP Classic, WinAMP, or any other Photo Editor/Viewer, Audio/Video/Media player so long as you install them after Nero+NVE. :thumbup