so i posting it here now

sorry for double posting

friends

i am want to know something

i have successfully completed my unattended xp cd

thanks to you and all the msfn board members for helping

i have a question

now i am working on win2k unattended

i want to know that can i replace the driver.cab file of windows 2k Pro with that of windows xp pro (as xp has better support for driver)

will windows allow this change or will it be causing any error

plz help

also if you can give me any more information regarding unattended win2k pro/server then it will be highly appreciable

reasons this should work:

-XP is based (somewhat) on win2k

-many drivers (nVidia, Ati for example) distribute setup files that are for both 2k and XP, which would lead me to believe that the drivers in that aspect are interchangeable

reasons this will probably blow up in your face:

-WHQL signing will probably fail for all your hardware (Bashrat or others may correct me on this if i'm wrong)

-though it has better support as you said, it may not be the drivers so much as the OS coding itself, as there are a lot of things XP does way better than 2k (WiFi for one, USB is improved as well).

There's nothing stopping you from trying, however i would make sure you backup the 2k driver.cab just in case. My personal opinion is it probably won't work.

i did something similar with win98 and win98se but of course w2k and wxp are totally different.

the main problem i can see as ryan said are the .INFs, if drivers are updated then files can be added/deleted/moved from the cabs and of course there will be a version missmatchs