Veritas Netbackup 4.5

jeffwitt41

Has anyone been able to install the Veritas netbackup 4.5 windows client onto WinPE? I am thinking that this would make an excellent bare metal restore type of product. If anyone is also working on this idea lets collaborate on it.

• 3 months later...

Hi

I started yesterday with a Veritas impkementation. As far as I know, Veritas is not directly supporting Netbackup clients on Windows PE.

But we managed to get the GUI run, to install the three Kernel-drivers, and to register and start the server. But the client is not able to conntact the server. it seems as if the software has a problem with the socket initialisation.

Is your installation running ?

Dan,

Thanks for posting. I am very busy doing other things lately so I have not had time to play around with getting the client to install. I have been thinking that Netbackup is very picky about ip addresses and DNS names. You may have to change the ip address and hostname to the original server name to connect to the master server to get any restores done.

Jeff

thanks for the info....

what's the meaning of NDA ???

Non Disclosure Agreement.

It's a legal contact binds you from discolsing any details about the new product.

In laymans terms... Sign this stating that you will not tell/show anyone our new product and we will tell/show it to you before it gets released.

Chris

cool....unfortunately we need it now and not when they are finished with looking into PE. I mean how long ago is it since MS has released the first verison of PE.....at least two and a half years :realmad:

What does Veritas takes so long to develop a simple restore application ? I mean we allready get the GUI running, registered the kernel drivers and the necessary COM components. It can't be so difficult to build code for a "stripped to the bone" Windows XP.

The solution you talk about to be announced by Veritas in the future, is it a full client or a special kind of restore application like the BRM stuff ?

The solution you talk about to be announced by Veritas in the future, is it a full client or a special kind of restore application like the BRM stuff ?

All I can say is call your Veritas Rep and inquire.

I'm not playing an "I have a secret game"... I can't talk about it. Legal reasons.

I can say that in talking to their engineers I have requested that it NOT be a locked in - out of the box product and that they allow us to integrate the product into our own PE solutions. In the businees domian you have 2 types. "Mom and Pop Shops" and Enterprise clients. The first use the product out of the box and Enterprise clients engineer the solution to meet their needs. They understood my concerns.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

finally we made it work....

client is working

client-server communication works fine

restores are possible

we only have one problem left to solve:

as we're starting winPe directly from a RIS server, the win pe partition is different from the final system partition, meaning system state destination has to be changed.

Unfortunately that doesn't work at the moment.

Anyone has a solution for this ?

target solution should be as follows:

starting pe from ris server with systemroot z:

restoring files to c: / d: / e: etc.

restoring system state to c: instead of z: