Intellimouse Explorer 3

redserpent

hi there! (first post :))

First of all, the MSIE will work with newer versions of the IntelliPoint software, but as it quite old, it'll be assigned a different name. The buttons will work however.

But I recommend the 4.12 software since it has button profile support for different programs and it actually recognizes the mouse as it should.

you should unpack the downloaded executable and find the folder where the file IP4_1.msi resides - that is, Mouse\setup in the executable. All files within the "setup" folder are the files required to install the software. Copy this folder (and its subfolders) to your unattended CD and run the .msi file like this:

IP4_1.msi MM=14 /QR REBOOT=ReallySuppress

I guess I'll have to do some explaining: MM=14 is a required switch to run the .msi - the msi WILL NOT run without this switch. It is parsed by the install program (setup.exe) which we are not running in this example since it appears not to support silent installs. /QR makes the .msi install silently and the REBOOT=ReallySupress turns of the reboot.

However, after the installation you'll need to configure the software according to the mouse you're using. To workround this in an unattended install, make the software recognize your MSIE3 by importing a regfile with this code:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Microsoft Input Devices\Mouse]
"DeviceNum"=dword:0000000e

In this way, after install, the reg file configures your mouse correctly and after reboot, you'll have a working MSIE3. Other settings like AutoUpdate and the button profiles can also be found in the registry under the mentioned key. Play around with them if you like. I have my reg file assign the wheelbutton a double click command, and the small mouse button a close command in ixplore and firefox. It makes navigation a lot easier. Take it or leave it.

I hope my answer was helpful to you... Do ask again if you have any other questions.

Regards,

FoLmEr