New Pentium Errros Out

shof515

I replace my old P2 to a P3 and when i boot up the computer this is what comes up:

I-MMX at CPU 98mhz

VCore= ?.??v

The motherboard(GA-6BXE) can support the P3 and the P3 mhz(its a 650mhz P3)

Anyway to fix this so i can get my pc up and running

Can the bios be reached? if so then the core voltage setting should be somewhere in there (if my memory serves me correctly they usually have 1.65 volts), failing that there should be jumper/DIP switches on the motherboard to adjust this setting but to set it correctly you will need info from the motherboards manuals/documentation. hope that helps :)

Did you update the bios to the latest version available for your motherboard before switching the PIII cpu?

Check on the Official site and look for the version number need by the mb design (usually MBs are serialized like programs = board ver.1.0, board ver 1.2, etc) and bios revision to have that PIII cpu to work with it, and if you need a newer bios, the put back the old cpu download bios, boot , update, switch again cpus, reset cmos, and let it run for another try. hope it helps

Problem is that:

Accoring to the motherboard site,my motherboard dont need an updated bios and it should accpet the P3 automatically with no problems...i emailed techs support but they take forever to email back

I don't know where you got this datum but if you check this link

Gygabyte pentium 3 600 cpu support mb list

you'll see that your model is missing, probably it cannot support that cpu...

And if you che the multiplier it supports maximum 5.5x on the mobo specifics page wich means 550 with a piii 100mhz fsb...

Ga 6bxe

needs some more investigation on hardware related forums.

There are many, and many are out of production, you can find for sure something at you local seller, I use an asus p2b (slot1) and have a PIII 650@866 ovorclocked for 2 years and works perfectly, no crash at all, you'll probably have normal sdram modules wich will fit in almost every mobo