True Or Not? Clearing Out Index.dat File

For privacy reasons, I have a .reg entry to clear my index.dat files before Windows starts. However, I have good cookies that I like to save (like for msfn.org) so that I don't have to re-logon to a site every time I visit. However, I just came across this article (see below) on another site that say that clearing index.dat causes your cookies to not retain your userID and password. I have not had time to test this yet, but does anyone know whether this is true or not???

-----

"***IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT IDs & PASSWORDS: Previously I thought deleting only the index.dat files and not the cookies themselves would preserve your IDs and passwords. Wrong! The index.dat file IS an index, and even though it may have thousands of listings for cookies that no longer exist, it is necessary for Explorer to locate the cookies that do exist. So, whenever you clear out the index.dat file, you will lose the ability to just go into sites (that require IDs and passwords) without signing in. If you delete the index, you might as well delete the cookies, since they can no longer function."-----

True or Not?

:o

• 2 months later...
Guest tranceaddict_no1
For privacy reasons, I have a .reg entry to clear my index.dat files before Windows starts.  However, I have good cookies that I like to save (like for msfn.org) so that I don't have to re-logon to a site every time I visit.  However, I just came across this article (see below) on another site that say that clearing index.dat causes your cookies to not retain your userID and password.  I have not had time to test this yet, but does anyone know whether this is true or not???

True or Not?

:o

Just export the **** cookies :yes:

You can do this in your menu... file ---> import / export

this way you can use em' again