About 841356

Michael D.

I downloaded new freeware XPCREATE and ran it for creating W2K unattended installation. Everything's OK except one thing: the resulting disk has \I386\XPCLNT_QFE_BINARYDROP and \I386\XPSP2_BINARYDROP directories with SHLWAPI.DLL. When I ran XPCREATE last year I had the same problem and I had to solve it manually. So has the problem not been solved in XPCREATE up to now or have I done anything wrong?

Welcome to MSFN, Michael D.!

I do admit that those directories are created, but that has never bothered me in my tests. It does seem to be a problem if installing from DOS (or perhaps WinPE). Exactly where does it cause a problem for you.

And yes, I will do something about it in the next set of XPCREATE updates.

To GreenMachine,

Exactly where does it cause a problem for you.

I never tried to install W2K with such a disk because when I saw the directories in my installation disk for the first time I searched through the forum and found the solution by Bilou_Gateux. So the only problem for me is that I have to do it manually :)

So it is not a big problem and I want to thank you for the great script you have developed and I also want to thank Bilou_Gateux for his postings that were very useful for me.

@Michael

When i use XPCREATE to slipstream Windows2000-KB<number>-X86-<language>.exe Type 1 HFs, i always edit DOSNET.INF and remove the added lines starting with d1, under the [Files] section. Files in subdir doesn't need an added line referencing them.

KB840987, KB841533 and KB891711 contains a subdir named UNIPROC to update the original UNIPROC subdir on 2K source. The files are updated versions of existing files. Only newer files should be added.

• 2 weeks later...

@GreenMachine

Maybe could you improve the plugin feature of the new version to write a plugin that detect the OS (2K or not, that is the question) we build a new CD and then checks the existence of 841356 HF in SVC-HF1 and then do the actions needed to clean the i386 folder after SVC-HF1 sliptream and before creating ISO and burning?

Maybe the problem will be solved by himself when M$ release the post-sp4 Update Rollup for Windows 2000.

Let's see. One of the first things detected is the OS, SP level and OS language, so I already have that.

I update DOSNET.INF according to Microsoft's specs, however, it is not quite clear on files in sub-directories (such as UNIPROC).

I might do a plug-in thing, but again, I would really prefer to keep it generic. I will probably NOT add the sub-directories to DOSNET.INF in the first place, but that does not solve all the issues.

To be continued ...