Windows 98 Se Service Pack 2.0 Rc1 (german)

creopard

patching? you mean the patches in PATCHES.CAB?

they seem to work...

I tried a hexeditor on winboot.sys... but there's so much different, even the language stuff starts and ends on other offsets. I think, I might break up more than I would fix :(

Did you make it work?

Yeah the patching stuff. Great to see that work too. I haven't test my dutch build yet cause I'm working on RyanVM's pack now.

It could be done to translate winboot.sys (actually io.sys)

I have looked into the winboot.sys. It seems clear that there is some space to make a translation. It will be a hard job to test but there are some benefits.

is there a listing where i can can see what each patch does exacly? I know for sure only patchnp.exe (which patches notepad) what does the rest patch?

PATCHE.EXE -> Explorer 256-color patcher. This will be removed in the RC2.

PATCHNP.EXE -> Notepad.exe patcher.

PATCHNPS.EXE -> Notepad.exe patcher for 98lite Sleek.

PATCHRE.EXE -> Regedit.exe patcher.

All patchers are made by WinPatcher. But, because there is a lot of problem on the Explorer.exe's patcher (i.e. file-in-use problems), I have removed it for the RC2.

RC2 is ready, but I have not solved the problems about Windows 2000 desktop icons optional feature. So, probably I will return the old method (1.6.2) for installing desktop icons on the RC2.

- KERNEL32.DLL (localisation not possible, German hotfix not available at present)

- SYSDM.CPL (localisation not possible, German hotfix not available at present)

localisation is quite possible

SYSDM.CPL - 5 minutes in any hex editor (WinHEX, HT Edit, Hiew and so on) (U can send me via e-mail your german 4.10.2222 version in zip and it will be done for U) B)

KERNEL32.DLL - has PE header and can be edited with any PE Resource Editor (PE Explorer, Restorator, eXeScope, ResorceHacker and so on) :yes:

in any case all russian cpl/dll/vxd/386/com files are ready :thumbup

- KERNEL32.DLL (localisation not possible, German hotfix not available at present)

- SYSDM.CPL (localisation not possible, German hotfix not available at present)

localisation is quite possible

SYSDM.CPL - 5 minutes in any hex editor (WinHEX, HT Edit, Hiew and so on) (U can send me via e-mail your german 4.10.2222 version in zip and it will be done for U) B)

KERNEL32.DLL - has PE header and can be edited with any PE Resource Editor (PE Explorer, Restorator, eXeScope, ResorceHacker and so on) :yes:

in any case all russian cpl/dll/vxd/386/com files are ready :thumbup

Ok, i've attached SYSDM.CPL for you, maybe you'll be able to open it...

It's possible to open and modify Kernel32.dll, but exescope and reshack keep crashing or end up with weird messages...

I'll try PE Explorer...

SYSDM.rar

and it was done :thumbup (less than 5 minutes :D )

and it has the same size as the previous one (it has about 5K filled with "00"),

but its realy 4.10.2224 sysdm.cpl German, and it works great :P

for kernel32.dll editing i've used PE Explorer 1.96, Restorator2004, eXeScope 6.41 and Hiew7.01 for the different purposes - but it's also about 15-20 minutes to make it ;)

SYSDM.rar

and it was done :thumbup (less than 5 minutes :D )

and it has the same size as the previous one (it has about 5K filled with "00"),

but its realy 4.10.2224 sysdm.cpl German, and it works great :P

for kernel32.dll editing i've used PE Explorer 1.96, Restorator2004, eXeScope 6.41 and Hiew7.01 for the different purposes - but it's also about 15-20 minutes to make it ;)

what program did you use for editing sysdm.cpl? so you tool the english sysdm.cpl and changed the version number and set the language to "407"?

did you translate any content? this could never be accomplished within 5 minutes...

what exactly did you change?

could you email these two files?

thanks I'd really appreciate that!

swgreed

have U dowloaded and checked sysdm.rar from my previous post???

To describe how it was done is much longer than to make it :)

And now...

SYSDM.CPL: How to ...

Preamble.

1. New SYSDM.CPL 4.10.2224 English is 1K shorter than 4.10.2222 (of course Your 4.10.2222 is also bigger).

2. All resources are the same (only 2 resources are changed - 1) file version and 2) two signs in string table).

That means to get new 4.10.2224 SYSDM.CPL in any language U need only one tool - any quite good HEX Editor.

I have used HTEdit http://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/F...HT-Editor.shtml

In addition to be sure "all OK" U may need eXeScope (any 6.XX version of this tool, i'm using 6.41). http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA003525/eXeSc641.zip

Also eXeScope can be used for the resources modifying (see steps 7 and 8).

And, of course, U need new English SYSDM.CPL 4.10.2224 and the old one 4.10.2222 in your language.

Process.

1. Make backup of both SYSDM.CPL (4.10.2224 English and 4.10.2222 in your language).

2. Resize using HEX Editor the English SYSDM.CPL 4.10.2224 to the size of Your old one 4.10.2222.

(in the case with German version new size of English file must be 391719 bytes like the old German)

3. Find in English cpl the begining of the resources - offset 00035700 (it begins with code 28 - bitmap resource)

fill few kilobytes (5-6K) with zeroes - the best choice for the German version up to the offset 00035E8F,

because in old German version (4.10.2222) the begining of the resources is offset 00035E90 (also it begins with code 28, but it is an icon).

Of course another language version will have another offset (U have to find it).

4. Open old cpl file (4.10.2222 German), mark and copy all from the offset 00035E90 up to the end of file.

5. Paste it from the program clipboard to the new file from the same offset.

Now U have the new resources in Your language in the new English 4.10.2224 cpl file.

But this cpl is not working now!

6. The next step - Resource Allocation Table.

It begins from the offset 00000100 and the end is at the offset 00000C83.

All U need - mark and copy this range from the old 4.10.2222 cpl to the new one.

Now Your new file is working! But it is not The End (Look the Preamble :))

7. The next step can be performed in eXeScope (it is more suitable) or in HEX - as U like.

At the end of Your new cpl U have to find and correct file version (or Version Resource in eXeScope).

8. The next step (of course eXeScope is more preferably in this case too):

U have to open String Resource Number 13 and change string number 205.

All U need - to replace signs "%d" with "%lu".

The END!

Also U can change the dates of file creation and modification.

All of these steps - no more than 5 minutes!

To describe how it was done is much longer than to make it :)

And now...

SYSDM.CPL: How to ...

Thanks, I successed! (SYSDM.CPL works great!)

For kernel32.dll editing I've used resource hacker.

but could't boot into Windows. Only black screen...

How can I solve this probleme?