Only Administrator Account Can Log Into The

Cytomax

Hello all this is my first 2K3 Standard Server (well its the first sever ever) that i am settings up and i read that Windows 2003 Server for Dummies book but its still a no go for me...

Let me start off by mentioning that i Do have 10 CALS that came with the Windows 2003 Server, Standard i guess they are built into the CD or something because i dont see any papers anywhere telling me codes to type into the computer If someone can please tell me if this is normal id appreciate it. I have NOT Activated the Product since im messing around with it i dont want to activate it yet because i may reformat many times before i get the server the way i want it. The Server is not hooked up to the internet and i have not registered StoreName.com but i will once i get this network up and running.

Maybe if i can explain what im trying to do someone can better help me...

This is a very simple network i am setting up for my parents business. They have 1 Server running Windows 2003 Server, Standard and 5 clients running Windows XP Professional. I need for all the computers to log onto a domain and map the servers hard drive to each clients computer. All of these people are in the same room connected through a switch and CAT5 cable. I just need to make 5 to 10 user accounts to be able to sit at any computer log onto a domain and begin working. I know ill most likely go into using roaming profiles and i know how to map hard drives i am stuck at the very first part which is creating users and letting them log into a domain from their computers. So far i can log into the Server from a client computer using the Administrator account and each of the clients can ping the server and the server can ping the clients all under 1 ms.

Situation

I set up a Windows 2003 Server, Standard and i install all the drivers etc.. and then i run the Set up Server Roles wizard and setup

1) My domain which is StoreName.com

2) DNS Server

3) DHCP Server

I have a WinXP Pro Laptop right next to the server.

I have a switch which connects the Server to the Laptop.

What i did on the Server

1) Now i go into the Manage Users and Computers in Active Directory

2) I go to the folder under my domain that says USERS

3) I Right Click (RC) in the USERS folder and go to New and add a new User

4) Type in First Name and Last Name and then a Log in Name called Eddie and then a Password.

5) I see the user is created and when i RC and go to Properties i see he is a member of Domain Users which is located in StoreName.com/Users

6) I cannot log in as Eddie because i get the error "The local Policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively"

What i did on the Laptop

1) I logged in locally not using the domain or anything

2) Dropped the Workgroup i was in and Joined the Domain using the Administrator Account becuase my Eddie account wont work

3)Restarted the computer still logged in locally so i didnt use the domain yet and checked to make sure im getting an ip from the DHCP on the server

4) Logged out and tried to log in with Eddie and i made sure to select the domain from the drop down arrow

5) I can not log onto the domain from the laptop as Eddie because i get the error message "The System Cannot Log you on now because the domain StoreName (Not StoreName.com) is not available"

6) I can log onto the domain from the Laptop if i use the Administrator Account

Now i know i have to be missing something from the Eddie maybe a permission or i have to add him to a certain group etc... Can someone please help a noob out.

Thanks in Advance

Eddie

P.S. I updated Step 6 under What i did on the Server and step 5 and 6 under What i did on the Laptop

P.S.S. I updated step 5 and 6 (again because it was not clear) under What i did on the laptop and I mentioned in paragraph 2 that "The Server is not hooked up to the internet and i have not registered StoreName.com but i will once i get this network up and running." I also added paragraph 3

Hello all this is my first 2K3 Standard Server (well its the first sever ever) that i am settings up and i read that Windows 2003 Server for Dummies book but its still a no go for me...

Let me start off by mentioning that i Do have 10 CALS that came with the Windows 2003 Server, Standard i guess they are built into the CD or something because i dont see any papers anywhere telling me codes to type into the computer If someone can please tell me if this is normal id appreciate it. I have NOT Activated the Product since im messing around with it i dont want to activate it yet because i may reformat a many times before i get the server the way i want it

Situation

I set up a Windows 2003 Server, Standard and i install all the drivers etc.. and then i run the Set up Server Roles wizard and setup

1) My domain which is StoreName.com

2) DNS Server

3) DHCP Server

I have a WinXP Pro Laptop right next to the server.

I have a switch which connects the Server to the Laptop.

What i did on the Server

1) Now i go into the Manage Users and Computers in Active Directory

2) I go to the folder under my domain that says USERS

3) I Right Click (RC) in the USERS folder and go to New and add a new User

4) Type in First Name and Last Name and then a Log in Name called Eddie and then a Password.

5) I see the user is created and when i RC and go to Properties i see he is a member of Domain Users which is located in StoreName.com/Users

What i did on the Laptop

1) I logged in locally not using the domain or anything

2) Dropped the Workgroup i was in and Joined the Domain using the Administrator Account becuase my Eddie account wont work

3)Restarted the computer still logged in locally so i didnt use the domain yet and checked to make sure im getting an ip from the DHCP on the server

4) Logged out and tried to log in with Eddie and i made sure to select the domain from the drop down arrow

5) Since i couldnt log in with the Eddie account i used the Administrator and it works fine.

Now i know i have to be missing something from the Eddie maybe a permission or i have to add him to a certain group etc... Can someone please help a noob out.

Thanks in Advance

Eddie

check your GPO ... Default Domain Policy ... check Event log and see if any errors is present there ...

I edited the original post all i edited is the following

Under What i did on the Server I forgot to add Step 6 which is

6) I cannot log in as Eddie because i get the error "The local Policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively"

Under What i did on the Laptop Steps 5 and 6 should read

5) I can not log into the Server from the laptop as Eddie because i get the error message "The System Cannot Log you on now because the domain StoreName (Not StoreName.com) is not available"

6) I can log into the Server from the Laptop if i use the Account Administrator

I did search and have been for over 2 weeks maybe i have been asking the wrong questions to the google god though... and i did edit my first post but i didnt want ppl that had already read the whole thing to reread it so i just edited it for people that hadnt read it and posted what i edited later on for people that already read it..

Eddie

I did search and have been for over 2 weeks maybe i have been asking the wrong questions to the google god though... and i did edit my first post but i didnt want ppl that had already read the whole thing to reread it so i just edited it for people that hadnt read it and posted what i edited later on for people that already read it..

Eddie

lol ... in general .. nobody will read such big posts at all :P and yeah ur right .. u messed with the google god .. and he is angry with u :yes:

For people that genuinely want to help the more information they can get the easier the problem is to solve. I dont need a bunch of people to give me the same answer i just need one person who wants to help to give me the answer and hopefully with all the information provided the person helping me can diagnose my problem efficeintly and give me a correct answer. BTW this thread is digressing lets please stay on topic here.

Eddie

Is your domain name fully qualified? As in registerd with one of the naming authorities. If not you should be using storename.local instead of storename.com.

Sounds like the "eddie" account is lacking proper permissions to log into the DC.

Did you add "Eddie" to any Groups?

I have more updates to my original post which are

I updated step 5 and 6 (again because it was not clear) under What i did on the laptop

Last part of paragraph 2

The Server is not hooked up to the internet and i have not registered StoreName.com but i will once i get this network up and running.

Paragraph 3

Maybe if i can explain what im trying to do someone can better help me...

This is a very simple network i am setting up for my parents business. They have 1 Server running Windows 2003 Server, Standard and 5 clients running Windows XP Professional. I need for all the computers to log onto a domain and map the servers hard drive to each clients computer. All of these people are in the same room connected through a switch and CAT5 cable. I just need to make 5 to 10 user accounts to be able to sit at any computer log onto a domain and begin working. I know ill most likely go into using roaming profiles and i know how to map hard drives i am stuck at the very first part which is creating users and letting them log into a domain from their computers. So far i can log into the Server from a client computer using the Administrator account and each of the clients can ping the server and the server can ping the clients all under 1 ms.

Marsden

To answer your question read paragraph 3 because i really dont understand what you are asking.. i think you are asking if i have registered StoreName.com the answer is no but i will when this is all over

I have tried adding Eddie to every group the Administrator account has and i still cant log into the domain on my laptop but i can now log into the server when im at the server

The way you call your internal AD domain has nothing really to do with the Internet domain .. but it's painless if you call your internal domains xxxx.local rather than xxxx.com (.local is the keyword)

anyway your problem might be the following:

1. GPO, because Eddie is not member of any group that can access the server. Try to create new GPO on the OU where Eddie is located, edit GPO, find settings "Access this computer from the network" and add the group Eddie is member in.

2. Your server has 2 NIC (network interface card) and you have problem with replication (browser errors in Event Log)

Please post some more details about your Event log so we can help you ... it isn't something difficult, so no worry ...