Lan Network File Sharing With Password, How?

epikur

I have computer A, which has windows XP pro

this computer is connected to a LAN

a computer B, which has windows XP home, is connected to that LAN

how do I share a folder from computer A, which is password protected so only computer B, can have access to that folder?

I know you can rightlick a folder, select properties, then sharing then share this folder on the network.

But how do i set a password so only computer B can have access?

I need the reverse. When i share a folder from one ,from any system ,not server accessing the shared folder need a login .all clients are xp pro sp2 & server is 2kpro sp3 & clients cannot login as admin, only user ,it is required only once after that no login required.

Anothr prblm.We connect all systems directly to router for internet access. so is the LAN file copy,etc also through the router? if yes how can it be avoided and system 2 system direct copy or access is possible?

hello! smile.gif epikur use the ntfs permission

Thx for the help, however I'm not sure how to do this.

I've read some guides about ntfs and I've disabled the simple file sharing so I can set ntfs permission to user-levels.

Now I can change the permission from everyone to a specific user/group

But how do I manage to make a permission that is not everyone and which is allowed to computer B?

It seems like It's only users from computer A that can be assigned to a specific ntfs filesharing settings, not computers outside like computer B.

(not sure about this statement though)

I would like a simple guide to achive this if this is possible :)

• 3 weeks later...

Make a special user that only has NTFS permissions to that folder. Share it out to everyone. Map that share from the computer you want to connect from as the user you created and granted permissions to and presto. You can log that user in from any computer and use those rights and logoff when you are done. I think that makes sense, it's late.

I've tried misc possibilites, just doesnt work, only with simple sharing method without password. Here's what I do, what is wrong here?

Computer A: (winxp pro)

- computername is compa

- network group is mynetwork

- disabled simple sharing

- made a new limited user called buddy

- chose a folder f and enabled sharing for everyone and buddy with ntfs read-ability

Computer B: (winxp home)

- computername is compb

- network group is mynetwork

- type in explorer window at adress bar -> \\compa

- I see the compa and the shared folder f, but when I click on this folder

I get an error box saying I'm not allowed or have access right for that folder

Right-click on My Network Places and Select Map Network Drive.

Create the connection with a drive letter and logon as another user and put in the account you created first and then try the admin accout and see if that works. XP Home should logon as another user.

Right-click on My Network Places and Select Map Network Drive.

Create the connection with a drive letter and logon as another user and put in the account you created first and then try the admin accout and see if that works. XP Home should logon as another user.

Thx for the reply

however could somebody please list the order and from which computer,

as guessing the combinations of those possible actions is giving me frustration.

Right-click on My Network Places and Select Map Network Drive

Virtual map drive z: to the folder which is to be shared, I can do this.

But is it for computer A or B or both?

Create the connection with a drive letter
This would be computer B obviously

how do I make the connection?

Should I type in explorer window at adress bar something like this-> \\compa\z:

logon as another user and put in the account you created first

I guess I am logging on from Computer B to Computer A here or am I missing something?

If someone could put it into a list like this I will be very grateful.

Computer A (win xp pro, server)

- do this

- do this

- do this

Computer B (win xp home, client)

- do this

- do this

- do this

Try this:

Computer A - server

create a user called test.

give only test the proper access to the needed folder through ntfs.

if you need to add the user test to the administrator group and remove the everyone group from the ntfs permissions and add only the admin group or any combitation so longs as when you look at the user tests effective permissions it shows the proper access for that user.

log in as test and check out the effective permissions if your main account doesn't have full admin rights.

--

Right-click on the folder to share from explorer and select properties. There is a tab called effective permissions. Check that for the user account you want to use to access. This account must exist on the server and could be on the workstation but doesn't have to be.

create a share and give everyone full access.

--

Computer B - client

right-click on My Netowrk Places

left click on Map network drive

select drive letter and path

click on Connect using a different user name & put in the test user info & select reconnect at logon.

that share can only be accessed with the user name & password you created on the server but if that info is known the data can be accessed from any computer on your network. if you had a real server you could also restrict which computers the user test can access the server from to prevent this. You could probably work this with a personal firewall depending on how secure you want the data to be. Any questions I can probably explain it better but that way make sense to me.

Thx for the reply

However it's only possible for me to make this happen when it's simple filesharing.

I have never been able to look into a folder if it's not simple sharing.

Network-mapping a folder and logging in as another valid still gives the error.

"You dont have right to access the folder, bla bla bla"

Simple sharing allows all people in, which is no good.

What to do?

EDIT:

Now it works, after reboot and fidling with setting simple share on/off a couple of times. Dunno why It didn't worked from start

EDIT:

Now I know. I had to disable the folder options -> view

'Automatically search for network folders and printers'

Else some alert boxes would popup about already authenticated as another user bla bla.

Thx for the support :)