Installing Xp Corp And Applying Oem Sticker

jkdawg

I know that this is possible, but I want to know if it is legal. I am building systems for a Microsoft OEM who buys OEM license packs of XP Pro. I do not want to individually install each one, but rather use volume license media to install it unattended, but place an OEM sticker on the side. There is a way to do this using sysprep and then changing the key, but Dell systems are installed using the same key for Pro and another key for Home - on all systems, but stick an OEM sticker on the machine with a different key. So can I legally install XP Corp on all the systems as long as I place a different OEM sticker on the side of each. In this way, each will have a valid license.

Meah.. Each workstation must have their own unique key unless you have the corportate license for certain number of uses per key.. So why don't you do the unattended then get a license key changer :-) and have that run at GUIONCE and change it on first boot

There is a key that you can find on the Microsoft website that you can use for this purpose. You will have to setup the OEM tools on the PC so that it walks the use through changing it and registering it though. Just do a search on their website... you will find it.

Hi, :hello:

Dell and many other large System Builders do have special aggrements with Microsoft to distribute OEM builds of XP.

Any attempt to replicate what Dell are doing without the special licence and OEM agreement in place is only likely to result in "tears before bedtime" when MS come down hard on you.

I would suggest that you install the OS using the same fixed PID but change this after installation, either using a script / batch file or similar.

There are tools out there which you can use manually, but there is a MSKB article which describes how to do this via VBS script.

Once the PID has been changed, you can then active the installed OS in the usual way.

Kind Regards

Simon

Edit: The MSKB article is here. :D