Can I safely delete Infcache.1

INFCACHE.1 is there because somewhere, somehow you specified the root directory as a possible placement of driver files. Setup scanned there, and left the results in INFCACHE.1. You can probably delete it with no problem, but I would find the reason setup is looking there for drivers. What is in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DevicePath?

• 2 weeks later...
%SystemRoot%\inf;%SystemDrive%\ ...

Something is putting %SystemDrive%\ in there, and it should not be. That is your real problem. I would try removing the OemPnPDriversPath completly, and I bet it disappears.

Now, in answer to your question: YES, you may delete it. It is there to speed up searching for drivers when adding hardware, and is valid for the directory in which it resides. Without it, Windows will search all the INF files in the SYSTEMDRIVE (usually C:). Since there are usually very few files in the root of the SYSTEMDRIVE, chances are you will increase the time to search for drivers by a few milliseconds.

Does that help?

One thing I forgot to add ... I believe as long as you have %SYSTEMDRIVE% in your registry setting quoted above, the file might re-appear after every time you run the "Add Hardware Wizard". That is why I suggest getting rid of the cause, not the symptom. For now, you can just clean that registry setting (change to %SystemRoot%\inf).

Watch out for the bumpy roads!