Can't Print After Ie Wu Language Updates

Eck

I'm not sure whether to put the blame on the 98SESP2.0RC1 or Windows Update. After downloading and installing all the language updates from WU as the last of the updates after installing Gape's SP, I noticed that a little icon would appear in the systray when opening an explorer window or IE. It gives access to the different regional languages installed by WU. I don't even know why I downloaded them as I usually don't, but I figured it would be nice to see actual languages rather than question marks when browsing.

Even though the keyboard setting screen the icon brings up has a box to use the tray service icon or not, this box is greyed out so I can't change it.

Well, I thought "that's nice." thinking it wouldn't cause any problems. I proceeded to install the 982ME.EXE. When I tried to print the readme, the printer icon appeared in the systray but nothing printed. Eventually an error message reported that my printer was unable to access the port because it was in use. Going to the printer's folder, my printer no longer appeared. I rebooted to get it back in there, but any try at printing gave the same results.

I reinstalled the printer driver and software, and the initial test page printed. However, subsequent tries to print anything bring the same port in use error. Device Manager shows nothing wrong.

I figured I'd deal with this later and installed the 982ME batch to see what might happen. Nice Notepad! The Me Msconfig, Pinball, it's all good.

Now, I no longer get the icon for the language. Perhaps some change brought about by the Me system files. But I still can't print.

Maybe I'll try uninstalling the QuickLink III Fax software. I never had a problem with it being there before, as long as my printer was set to default.

Nope, I still can't print even without the Quicklink fax printer in there. (So I reinstalled the thing.)

This is a fresh 98 install following Gape's suggested order. I don't get it. Everything shows proper until I try to print.

I think the problem was interference from my Saitek GamePad P-880 drivers. I've noticed they're problematic in 98. Xp runs them fine, but the 98 Saitek driver will freeze the system when attempting to access the About tab in the Saitek game controller properties. They apparently hog the USB bus somehow as well.

Using my old Sidewinder GamePad with the controller software version 3.02 causes no havoc. I only got the Saitek to play MVP Baseball 2004. I like the old Microsoft Baseball 2001 better anyway, so the controller is no loss. I hate complicated games which use too many buttons! Give me the old NES up, down, left, right, A, B, Start, Select and I'm happy. More just complicates things. My fingers are too spastic.

I've got the service pack and the 982ME running great. I'm a little surprised no one at least gave the problem a shot. Perhaps no one felt it was related to anything the updates do, but I didn't know that.