Which Browser You Use When IE7 Is There?

xper

I will stick with Firefox as I can't see IE ever introducing ad blocking, or a modular system like Firefox's

The more people who block ads the more java ads you will start seeing... the ones that pop up in the window. No browser blocks those without making changes to your Java settings. What none of you realize is that ads are necessary for some places to exist. Those of you who block the ads here aren't supporting this forum. Don't get me wrong... I hate ads. I would gladly throw a couple bucks to any site I use frequently to lose ads, but I understand the need for them...

I will stick with Firefox as I can't see IE ever introducing ad blocking, or a modular system like Firefox's

The more people who block ads the more java ads you will start seeing... the ones that pop up in the window. No browser blocks those without making changes to your Java settings. What none of you realize is that ads are necessary for some places to exist. Those of you who block the ads here aren't supporting this forum. Don't get me wrong... I hate ads. I would gladly throw a couple bucks to any site I use frequently to lose ads, but I understand the need for them...

Thankfully, the adblock extension to Firefox blocks scripts as well (as defined by the filter set I'm using) :) Anyway back to the topic, I'm sure I will try IE7, but I doubt I will use it as my main browser. Although IE's activex is comparable to Firefox's extensions, the extensions are generally open source, which helps make entensions safer as they can be easily tested for safety by programmers. (let the flames begin!)

When IE7 comes out I will definalty test it ans use it.

But which one are you looking more forward to?

IE7 or FF 2.0?

I block the ads with my hosts, and I don't have Java installed.

FF 2.0 without a doubt. The only reason I still have IE is cos the blodddy M$ UPDATE doesnt work as good with other browsers.

IE7 : I ain't even looking forward to it, cos I believe that it will be crap. But ofcourse will give it a try and see how it operates.

Although IE's activex is comparable to Firefox's extensions, the extensions are generally open source, which helps make entensions safer as they can be easily tested for safety by programmers.

If open source is safer then tell me why the patch times for open source are twice that on average of most M$ patch times? The proof of this is the published study last week showing that Windows Server 2003 is more secure than Linux. (this put a bunch in a lot of Linux guys "panties") Anyways... I know there are a lot of problems with IE... It seems like very recently M$ has been making some strides in trying to get some of these issues more under control. I just want until the first big vulnerability in FF is found that causes some major issues. My philosophy... If someone built it, someone can take it apart. It's just a matter of time.

I seriously doubt that MSIE7 will truly be worth of a 7.0 version number. I suspect it will probably have partial or buggy support for modern stuff like PNG or CSS2/3 but still render most correct things the wrong way. I, as a webdevver, am always hassling to get a site working in IE while Firefox and Opera display most things as expected.

Of course, IE displays most existing websites better, that's because of IE's rediculous market share. Webdevvers have to make everything compatible with at least IE, and that's what increases usage of IE on its turn. It's a circle that can only be broken by some serious competition: Firefox.

Unfortunately, Firefox doesn't use the same marketing strategies as Microsoft does, and with Microsoft it's always best to fight fire with fire. IOW, bring down IE with all the force we have. Like, bribe the 4 largest OEMs to include Firefox in their PC's as the primary browser.

Example: here ya go: www.randysimons.com

It's a Dutch website of which the high-end version renders horribly in IE but renders beautifully in Firefox and Opera. And guess what! it's completely valid XHTML and CSS2.

Bottom line: I'll be using Opera (mainly) and Firefox. I *really* don't see what makes IE better (ActiveX anyone? Even MS doesn't like it).