Copernic Desktop Search 1.2?

JPamplin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

OK, the /S switch does work, then you can apply a .reg file from a previous install to duplicate your preferences.

Now, the question of the day: ever since 1.61 Copernic forces the Web Tab to be visible. Has anyone figured out how to turn it off?

Inquiring minds want to know, TIA,

JP

Add this to your tweaks after Copernic install.

[HKEY_USERS\Software\Copernic\DesktopSearch\Meta]
"InstalledComponents"=dword:0000009D

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Copernic\DesktopSearch\Meta]
"InstalledComponents"=dword:0000009D

No more search in the taskbar.

Regshot comes in handy yet again ...

D.

Halfwalker:

Thanks so much for the tip! I had a bit of trouble with it, though, and I was wondering if I could get your input:

1) The first key you provided is almost correct, but Windows doesn't allow registry branches in HKEY_USERS like SOFTWARE - it has to be the user code of .DEFAULT, or the long string of numbers which identifies the user. In my case, the first key should be:

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-109903746-2060566131-3148740645-1218\Software\Copernic\DesktopSearch\Meta]
"InstalledComponents"=dword:0000009d

2) If you are entering the key manually, should it be hexidecimal or decimal? I can't make the capital D stick with hex.

3) I haven't tried this with a clean setup, but should this be applied right after the first install of Copernic? I quit an existing install of 1.63, applied the patch, and restarted Copernic, and Web was still there.

4) Would this work with the .DEFAULT branch of HKEY_USERS, so that every user would get the patch?

Thanks, sorry for the n00bie questions,

JP

Edited by JPamplin

JPamplin -

You're probably right about the default key there. I do know that what's listed above works for me. My install looks like this :

regedit /S "%DIR%\copernic.reg"
REG ADD %KEY%\%NUM% /VE /D "Copernic Desktop Search v1.63" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\%NUM% /V 1 /D "%DIR%\copernicdesktopsearch.exe /S" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\%NUM% /V 2 /D "%DIR%\finishup.cmd" /f

Note - this part is generated from the RunOnceEx.cmd file, called from cmdlines.txt. The regedit is happening before any users are set up, so stuff goes into the right places. Probably don't need the HKU parts, just HKCU.

During RunOnceEx, Copernic is installed silently, then the finishup.cmd batch is called, as shown below :

@echo off
move "%allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Copernic Desktop Search.lnk" "%allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories"
del "%allusersprofile%\Desktop\Copernic Desktop Search.lnk"
regedit /S "%DIR%\copernic.reg"

The regfile has more than above, but those two lines are what turn off the taskbar search.

D.

D,

Thanks so much for getting back to me on this. I'm a little embarassed, because we've been discussing two different features. You've been talking about the search bar on the taskbar, and I've been referring to the Web icon in the main interface (which I don't want to see - just the rest of them).

Sorry for the mixup - any ideas on getting rid of Web?

Thanks,

JP

Edited by JPamplin