Increasing Performance

el_diablo4303

My recommendation would be to set your paging file to a static size (i.e. Max = Min). This will prevent Windows from dynamically resizing the pagefile while you're working (thus slowing things down).

I've found BlackViper's site very good for disabling services. By default on my computer, there would be about 40MB of RAM being used for the services. I've now been able to slim that down to about 15-20MB. It makes a considerable difference on startup times as well.

So you want it to run like a server??

I would get at least 2x 512 RAM.

Disable services such as

-Wireless Sero Configuration (only if you dont have wireless router)

-Uninterruptible Power Supply

-Portable Media Serial Number Service

Get nLite do all those things etc.

And recommend a P4 2.2+ghz

Hmm nLite very useful, I am going to try my new shrunk OS soon. Also www.blackviper.com as mentioned before along with www.theeldergeek.com, www.tweakxp.com and www.tweakguides.com. There is an excellent pdf file...huge with massive amounts of information on setting up the OS right. Also go to the command prompt and type in 'diskperf -n' which turns off disk performance counters or something like that and is supposed to give a bit of a speed boost. I have my page file set to 512 mb initial and final sizes and I have a gig of fast memory. Also MS bootvis is a helpful tool to speed up reboots. CrapCleaner and system mechanic 5.5 are very useful to keep the registry trim and light. I run them both once a week. What one program misses the other gets. Also Diskeeper 9 the latest build is a very nice software. I have it defrag automatically when my machine is not being used. Mac OS X does something of the sort so manual defragging is never required. Also I defrag the MFT and stuff once a month....Diskkeeper defrags during the reboot. There is an option that the program also lets u know of to increase the MFT table on your hdd if you are using it a lot. I fully dont understand it but I have noticed quiet a lot of performance increase from my hard drive after I set it to the recommended setting. The software Diskeeper does it all for you. Very nice. And thats about it. My machine runs brilliantly fast, no crashes, no slowdowns and no malware, virus free for over 6 months!! And this too on a full XP install and not an nLite enhanced install. Hope this was useful. :thumbup

Also lock the file by putting both values the same. The max should also be the min. 512, 768 or 1 gig.
Why the hell would you do that? Then when the pagefile needs to be expanded it cannot. Just leave it system managed.
Like what false information  ? Most of the information there helped a lot of people. So can you give me a better site besides the Microsoft page (Most people will get lost  )?

Alot of services are missing alot of important information in the description. The site also basically reccomends trying to disable as many services as possible. Disabling services will NOT increase performance. A service that is not being used is not using any memory or CPU cycles.

If you really want some info on particular services this may help.

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x/.../m/964006884631

Blackvipers site is one of the sites he is refering to when he says "I'm fed up with misguided, malicious and downright moronic websites springing up everywhere telling people to disable or enable or wave a dead chicken at certain services without telling people what they're actually doing or just plain lying about it."

Also read this on blackvipers site:

"Virtual Memory ~ The name used for the sum of Physical RAM and the Swap File. In other words: Physical RAM + Swap File = Virtual Memory. You cannot "disable" Virtual Memory even if you disable the Swap File. Meaning, 2 GB RAM + 0 MB Swap File = 2 GB Virtual Memory."

That shows the creator of the site does not even know the basic idea behind Virtual Memory. Anyone who is running a 32-bit OS has 4GB of Virtual Memory.

My recommendation would be to set your paging file to a static size (i.e. Max = Min). This will prevent Windows from dynamically resizing the pagefile while you're working (thus slowing things down).

Again some terrible advice. The pagefile will only increase in size when you are under a heavy load and it is needed and if it is set to a "static" size it removes that safety net if it needs to be resized. Just leave it System managed.

Ask anyone who actually know how the Virtual Memory subsystem works and they will tell you the same thing.

If you guys want me to go into technical detail about certain subjects then I will, but my point is just about every tweak guide out there has TONs of flase information. This is NOT the 9x days when tweaking was sometimes needed. Windows XP is basically tweaked out of the box.

Also leave the pagefile system managed. You will not gain any perormance from changing this. If anyone wants to argue this then go right ahead.

@el_diablo4303

The best advice I can give you is IF you read an Xp performance tweaking guide do NOT believe everything it says. Most of it is most likely false information and terrible advice. I am not saying everything will be wrong, but most will.

Also do not worry about tweaking for performance. Just keep your PC secure to prevent slowdowns from viruses and spyware etc.

@KoolDrew

A little suggestion, if I may, could you possibly refrain from saying that other people is stupid, and be a little less aggressive in your posts.

The community here is for people trying to exchange info and knowledge, NOT insults or denigrating other people's work or ideas.

Of course everyone has the right to have his own opinion and to express it, but denigrating others plainly it's not polite.

Out of curiosity, can you please elaborate on this:

"Virtual Memory ~ The name used for the sum of Physical RAM and the Swap File. In other words: Physical RAM + Swap File = Virtual Memory. You cannot "disable" Virtual Memory even if you disable the Swap File. Meaning, 2 GB RAM + 0 MB Swap File = 2 GB Virtual Memory."

That shows the creator of the site does not even know the basic idea behind Virtual Memory. Anyone who is running a 32-bit OS has 4GB of Virtual Memory.

I am running right now a win 2k machine that has 256 Mb of RAM and a 1,7 Gb Hard Disk, of which I have about 800 Mb free.

I would have thought that if I set the swap file to 512 Mb I would have:

Physical RAM 512 Mb + Swap File 512 Mb = 1 Gb Virtual Memory

How can I have 4Gb of Virtual Memory, as I am missing 3Gb of them?

jaclaz

A little suggestion, if I may, could you possibly refrain from saying that other people is stupid, and be a little less aggressive in your posts.

The community here is for people trying to exchange info and knowledge, NOT insults or denigrating other people's work or ideas.

Of course everyone has the right to have his own opinion and to express it, but denigrating others plainly it's not polite.

Sorry.
I am running right now a win 2k machine that has 256 Mb of RAM and a 1,7 Gb Hard Disk, of which I have about 800 Mb free.

I would have thought that if I set the swap file to 512 Mb I would have:

Physical RAM 512 Mb + Swap File 512 Mb = 1 Gb Virtual Memory

How can I have 4Gb of Virtual Memory, as I am missing 3Gb of them?

Read this. It covers linux, but Virtual Memory is the same

http://kerneltrap.org/node/2450?PHPSESSID=...98b107619066927

I'd like to jump in for my friend KoolDrew... Things have gotten a bit heated today with a few fellas and posts. My friend KoolDrew and I, standing side by side, were taking some heat, and unfortunatly it got to our heads. Not just KoolDrew, but mine aswell.

Please forgive me and KD. He's a friendly and helpful chap, like most of us here. And, like most of us here, we are human to. We both humbly apologize.

Regards,

eNuffSaid

I don't know exactly what determines the size of the pagefile.sys. I do know RAM is the greatest contribution in the determination of the pagefile size. By default its always larger than the RAM you have. I have 2 systems with 1 Gig RAM, and both have their pagefiles at 1,5 Gig.

So a multiplier of 150% would sound logical. However, I read from people with 2 Gig RAM, their pagefile file is 4 Gig. That's 200%. I would have expected a 3 Gig pagefile.sys for systems with 2 Gig RAM.

wooo..its getting hots in here. cool guys.. we r all friends in here.

heres something...when i run dxdiag....its shows that my

Page File: 278MB used , 1703MB available. what its mean?

Here's my sistem infos:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name COMPUTER

System Manufacturer INTEL_

System Model D865PERL

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2793 Mhz

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2793 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. RL86510A.86A.0075.P15.0404021333, 4/2/2004

SMBIOS Version 2.3

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"

User Name COMPUTER\Admin

Time Zone Malay Peninsula Standard Time

Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 220.89 MB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Page File Space 1.94 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well....can anybody tell me about this. i reallt dont know bout this. is my pc good enough? or do i need to do something to maximize its performance?

thanks in advances

I don't know exactly what determines the size of the pagefile.sys. I do know RAM is the greatest contribution in the determination of the pagefile size. By default its always larger than the RAM you have. I have 2 systems with 1 Gig RAM, and both have their pagefiles at 1,5 Gig.

So a multiplier of 150% would sound logical. However, I read from people with 2 Gig RAM, their pagefile file is 4 Gig. That's 200%. I would have expected a 3 Gig pagefile.sys for systems with 2 Gig RAM.

By default it is 1.5x your RAM I believe.

@el_diablo4303

No. Windows XP is basically tweaked out of the box. Just secure your PC so it doesn't fill up with viruses.

Actually no it doesn't need to be tweaked. Removing visul effects etc. is about the only way to increase performance. Every tweak guide out there has flase information. Many even refer to the pagfile as virtual memory. Would you really want to follow a guide like that?

Please forgive me and KD. He's a friendly and helpful chap, like most of us here. And, like most of us here, we are human to. We both humbly apologize.

No prob, mates, it is just a matter of keeping things on a friendly level even if one disagrees. ;)

Back to topic, while I do agree on kooldrew view:

The best advice I can give you is IF you read an Xp performance tweaking guide do NOT believe everything it says.

I cannot agree on this:

This is NOT the 9x days when tweaking was sometimes needed. Windows XP is basically tweaked out of the box.

For example why would have been bootvis being developed for?

From the same site you pointed to:

http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/sgp-tweaks.ars

Bootvis Application

The program was designed by Microsoft to enable Windows XP to cold boot in 30 seconds, return from hibernation in 20 seconds, and return from standby in 10 seconds. Bootvis has two extremely useful features. First, it can be used to optimize the boot process on your computer automatically. Second, it can be used to analyze the boot process for specific subsystems that are having difficulty loading. The first process specifically targets the prefetching subsystem, as well as the layout of boot files on the disk. When both of these systems are optimized, it can result in a significant reduction in the time it takes for the computer to boot.

Most probably this and other boards would not even have existed if people did not find that some tweaking IS needed, I certainly agree that tweaking is a risky business and "reserved" to knowledgeable users.

About the swap file thingy, I think you are mixing 4 GB (that is the ADDRESSABLE Page Size on 32 bit systems) with actual Virtual Memory and Swap (pagefile) size, have a look at this article where everything is explained quite well:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

that clarifies it and explains WHY a fixed multiplier is not correct and HOW to calculate the appropriate size you should have FOR A GIVEN usage.

And here a more complete article by Daniel Petri:

http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm

And the Adrian's Rojak article:

http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demon...mization_01.htm

jaclaz

I linked to the sticky about services so not that guide. Also about the bootvis thing. It was not designed to increase performance for end users. It was designed so PC system designers and software developers identify performance issues for boot/resume timing while developing software and stuff. Also the boot optimization feuture in bootvis is built into Windows Xp anyway.

Also about your first link. Yes it does correctly define Virtual memory, but he has some terms wrong (paged pool is not what he thinks it is, for example) but it's among the best I've seen.

Now about the second link. It gives some bad advice. First of all yes mo0ving it to a seperate physical drive and controller will help seek times, but the pagefile is NOt the only file involved with paging. Anything with an original file can be paged back to the original file. Anything that does not needs to go to the pagefile is the memory is needed. So in essence these are all pagefiles. You cannot find the best place for all of them. Also with the amount of RAM in machines nowadays the pagefile is not used much so placemnt of the pagefile is silly.

The page also recommends making the intial and max the same. All this does is remove one of the major benefits of having a pagefile which is it provides a safety net. It can expand if needed.

The page also says if you put multiple partitions on different hard drives then "Windows 2000 automatically selects the fastest drive to page memory to" This is false. Windows will use the least active drive.

That page also says stuff about pagefile fragmentation. First of all if the pagefile resizes the pagefile will automatically be brought back to its initial size on reboot so there is no fragmentation. Also the ONLY way pagefile fragmentaion can reduce performance is by fragmenting other files since it cannot be moved.

The reason pagefile fragmentation does not affect performnce like people think is because first of all Windows NEVER reads or writes more than 64 KBytes per buffer to the pagefile. The pagefile also will never be read or written to in sequential 64Kbyte chunks. So after reading or writing it WILL have to move the heads, no matter how fragmented the pagefile is. The pagefile IOs would also be interspersed with paging IOs to many other files, and non-paging IOs to many other files, too. So during all this the head will HAVE to move anyway so fragmentation of the pagefile will have no noticable affect on performance.

I read the third link you posted a while ago and that also has some bad advice and false info.

Ask any expert and they will tell you the same thing I am telling everyone and that is leave the pagefile System Manged.