Wus Client

wusfreaks

Hi people,

I´m in troubles with my WUS environment. That´s the following:

I just can´t setup the clients in my network (non-active directory), I tryed to set the configurations through the registry as well as I´ve read in the "Deploying Microsoft Windows Update Services" white paper. I have clients running Windows XP SP1 and SP2 but I can´t find the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU. In all clients I can just find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows ,as you see \WindowsUpdate is missing. What´s supposed to be happening? How can I set the Automatic Updates in those clients pointing to my WUS Server?

I´d be glad if somebody help me...

Thanks

I´ve just done as you say but nothing happens. Running the command wuauclt.exe /detectnow nothing happens too. I´m about to lose my hope or driving myself crazy...

Thank you guys for the hand, if you know anything about just tell me.

Listen, I have no idea how, but seem like MS changed the SUS (WUS) policy ... before, SUS (WUS) had to be installed on a active directory members server, but not a domain controller, now as I can see from white paper, it can be installed on stand a lone server as well as on domain controller ... usualy, many things are lot easier to be solved through AD including your issue ...

Yes... Active Directory seems to be the best solution, although my environment isn´t an Active Directory one, and I can´t make it now cause I have 1500 points in my network, that´s why I´m in troubles. Whatever, I thank you for trying to help me.

I still believe I´ll make this work! If somebody help me of course..

Best Wishes

Yeah brother, 1500 computers (clients) all over the MAN...

WUS would be a very interesting solution for us, unfortunatelly I can´t see a light to make it works.

I apreciate any information in order to solve this problem.

Thanks people

You can set up the client computer locally by going to - start - run - type in "gpedit.msc" - press enter. That will open up the group policy window. right click on the first "administrative templates" folder, the one under "computer configuration". Now click the "Add/remove templates..." then click Add on the bottom. it should bring up the directory browser in the windoows inf folder where there are a bunch of .adm files. add the file named wuau.adm (its includeded in windows xp sp1 and higher but sp2 has a later version which you can download). after adding it click on the "+" sign next to "admistrative templates" then on the "+" next to "windows components" and click on the windows update folder. now double click the "specify intranet microsoft update service location" click enabled and in the text box under "set the intranet update service for detecting updates" type in your SUS/WUS server address (most likely that would be "http://(the WUS server IP address or dns name (for example 192.168.1.15:80) using port 80 which is usually used)) so it should look someting like this: http://192.168.1.15:80 . Copy the same thing to the second text box. now you can play around with the other settings in the "windows update" folder to customize the way the updates are given. To make in install automatically on clients without administrative rights go to "configure automatic updates" and select enable and option "4 - auto download and ......" and set a time for it to install the updates. I've gotta run. I hoped that this helped you a bit.

P.S. if anyone knows how to set up the clients computer through active directery step-by-step I would really appreciate it. Thank you. Michael.

We're trying to use WUS to, and we have the same problem. We can't get the computers to "attach" to WUS. We've tried following the Wus step by step guide that u can find on the M$ homepage, but it just won't work!

We tried compuboy's suggestion, but this does not seem to work either. There are however, two computers that once was in contact with WUS, but we haven't done anything with these two. Why they're shown in the WUS computer managment screen, we don't know. (They don't even have the settings that is needed)

Now we're considering to reinstall wus, but we're not shure how to uninstall it.. :blushing: Is it just like removing any other program?

Compuboy I really apreciate your help, I think that´s really the way to make it works. i did everything you said but nothing happened. I hadn´t any event log on clients or server... I´ve executed the follow command "wuauclt.exe /detectnow" as is described in a WUS Microsoft white paper and nothing happened too. In the task manager there is wuauclt.exe process running but I don´t know what it means.

However, now I´m more hopeful... looking forward for new helping hands.

Thanx