• Microsoft Antispyware
    • Spybot Search and Destroy
    • Adaware
    • Hitman Pro
    • SpywareBlaster
    • CWShredder
    • Pest Patrol
    • Spyware Doctor

Not only a single spyware can protect your system.

I have been doing lots of difficuties jobs about defending malware or

spyware. After testing the performances, anti-spy abilities, and unique

functions. there are two still remained in my system. one is ad-ware and

the other is counterspy.

microsoft antispyware and spyware doctor can't stop the starware.

pest patrol or spybot search and search can't stop the AZtool bar.

I hope this will find u well.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised NOBODY has mentioned CounterSpy.

They use the same database as M$' AS, but they also do cookies I believe and add to their own database.

Apparently it's one of theee best if not theee best.

Same interface as M$-AS, but once that contract is up for them to get their definitions from GIANT, they'll be on their own.

I was on their BETA team for awhile and it was pretty good.

I sometimes wonder about M$' product, but I like the fact you can control start-up programs in there.

For me, it's

AdAware, Spybot, Spywareblaster, SpywareGuard and I'm set.

With FireFox of course.

Have to admit to SpySweeper being pretty **** good, as well as Ewido.(catching dll files and what not)

Just don't be stupid when surfing.

Edited by jacob

You should also pay attention to dates on definitions lists. Spyware Blaster used to be good, but the latest definitions file for it is months old....much like an anti-virus, if your protections aren't current, you may as well not being using one. Spybot S&D has been proven to be quite dated as well in both its definitions and its capacity to detect and remove spywares.

If you want free, as far as what is out there today, my best suggestion would be the latest Ad-Aware SE + Spyware Guard. Spyware guard is made by the same company as Spyware Blaster, but instead of using a very outdated list of spyware definitions to "immunize" you from infection, it gives quality real-time protection from new ones getting onto your system.

You have it backwards.

SpywareBlaster has regular updates, whereas, SpywareGuard's last update was Jan.22.04

But it's good because it prevents any exe or cab files being installed.

I have not seen a single anti-spyware application that catches everything, and I use (and recommend using) all of

Yahoo! Anti-Spy

Yahoo! Anti-Spy comes with Yahoo toolbar, and I consider it the second best free option. Simple interface; not many settings here. But it's not bad and often catches things others don't.

http://www.internetnews.com/security/article.php/3531491

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1605578,00.asp

Even though they are a bit outdated, you never know who these guys are working with.

I'd trust Google over Yahoo any day of the week.

Edited by jacob

On my computer: Opera + common sense. I never needed an anti-spyware program.

On computers I build for others: MS Anti-Spyware, Spybot S&D and Lavasoft AdAware.

The first two could use some improvement in their interface, though.

MS Anti-Spyware looks horrible on wide screen systems (I can show you screenshots with incomplete backgrounds and items/text that are out of view and unreachable because of the lack of a scrollbar).

Spybot S&D's real-time helpers are of no use for novices because the text on the buttons is obscured in the popup dialogs (since one of the later 1.3 builds).

• 1 month later...
I use Acronis Privacy Expert http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/privacyexpert/

It not only protects my system from malware (realtime protection) but also performs usefull operations like cleans all my internet activity from the PC and makes sure that deleted data cannot be unerased.

Good stuff i tell you and all in one package!

The latest version of CCleaner removes more temp/cache/MRU for Windows and dozens of other applications than any other program I've seen yet, and allows for secure-wiping of files. All that built into a tiny program that's free... can't get any better than that.