• Microsoft Antispyware
    • Spybot Search and Destroy
    • Adaware
    • Hitman Pro
    • SpywareBlaster
    • CWShredder
    • Pest Patrol
    • Spyware Doctor

There's a thread somewhere in this section of MSFN that shows the results of the spyware appz. Out of ALL of them, M$ gets the most.

They also have a lot of false positives.

You can't just use one single application. Currently the best to use (as of this post) are CWShredder 2.13, Ad-Aware SE 1.05 Personal, Spybot 1.3.1TX.

MS Antispy has far too many problems and false positives.

Dont agree...

Spybot and Adware were quite good, but they cant be compared with MSAS...

I was making report for my company (half or one year ago) and I recommended Giant AntiSpyware (now MSAS)

1.) concept of ActiveAgents is much better then usuall realtime protection and much better then SpywareGuard (because of problems with laws)

2.) concept of SpyNet is GREAT idea and even now U can see results. It is quite similar to bayesian method in filtering spam.

About false positives - NEVER meet any one. I had few problems that MSAS thought that srvany or srvinst from resource kit were malware programs, but I must say that they R often used to this kind of actions...

What do U mean under problems?

Also quite interesting (but without future :() are products from InterMute

Dont agree...

Spybot and Adware were quite good, but they cant be compared with MSAS...

I was making report for my company (half or one year ago) and I recommended Giant AntiSpyware (now MSAS)

1.) concept of ActiveAgents is much better then usuall realtime protection and much better then SpywareGuard (because of problems with laws)

2.) concept of SpyNet is GREAT idea and even now U can see results. It is quite similar to bayesian method in filtering spam.

About false positives - NEVER meet any one. I had few problems that MSAS thought that srvany or srvinst from resource kit were malware programs, but I must say that they R often used to this kind of actions...

What do U mean under problems?

Also quite interesting (but without future :() are products from InterMute

Spybot adds immunizations to IE to help protect the browser from potentially harmful items (SearchSquire is a perfect example). After Immunizing, then running MSAS it would catch SearchSquire as a problem. It is not a problem as it was added to a list to protect IE. I found this by after letting MSAS "fix" this problem, then running Spybot's Immunization again, that it would say 1 object not protected (something like that). MSAS is far from perfect and needs a TON of work before I would recommend it. I've discussed this with many other PC techs and they agree with the fact that MSAS has problems and false positives. It's average, but you can use other items that can get the job done without messing with other applications (Example above on how MSAS would remove some protections that Spybot added). I'll wait for MS to improve and fix MSAS, -IF- they do. But for now I do not recommend it.

Ad-Aware SE

Spybot Search&Destroy

SpywareBlaster

CWShredder

On top of that you shouldn't need much else.

I fully agree Zxian. In fact, on my website the "AllApps" package that I host currently contains the following items: CWShredder 2.13, AdAware SE Personal 1.05, Spybot 1.3, Spybot 1.3.1TX (Features the DSO Exploit fix), CCleaner 1.17.090, and Hijack This 1.99.0. That's all you need.

Immunization is based on adding "killbit" to virtual ActiveX - if any antispyware SW is setting this, it is in fact creating virtual activex object....

BTW MSAS dont detect this kind of immunization - I am using my corporate killbit settings and never got problems with MSAS... R U sure it wasnt problem of spybot instead of MSAS (e.g. setting more than only killbit)?

For me the biggest problem of MSAS is lack of corporate monitoring/updating/configuration... Hope so they will soon change it

• 2 weeks later...