Hd Intensive Work Very Very Slow After Sp2.0rc1

Fred, sorry for the problem, but SP 2.0 should work on your system without this problem. My personal computer has SiS chipset, and it works properly.

However, you should use latest IDE drivers from SiS. Have you ever installed these drivers?

Yes,

I have dowload a driver from there. I ran the installation but it didn't help.

When should I install this up-to-date driver?

Before or after running SP2.0?

How can I replace the existing driver by this one? (when I delete it from the Device Manager and windows look for a driver again, I can't select a location and point to this driver because there is no INF files with it...)

Fred, sorry for the problem

Well...we are here to try...

Yes,

I have dowload a driver from there. I ran the installation but it didn't help.

When should I install this up-to-date driver?

Before or after running SP2.0?

How can I replace the existing driver by this one? (when I delete it from the Device Manager and windows look for a driver again, I can't select a location and point to this driver because there is no INF files with it...)

Fred, sorry for the problem

Well...we are here to try...

You can try extracting the files from the Sis IDE driver package with Winzip since the package IS a zip file. Unfortunately, unless you are using Win2000 or XP, the .inf files aren't included in it for 9x/ME. Since you're using W98se you can only install the SIS IDE controller drivers through its setup program. So you're kinda stuck, Fredledingue.

BTW I get the Sis IDE drivers here:

http://www.sis.com/download/

since my system uses built-in Sis 630 graphics, Sis 7018 audio and Sis 5513 IDE hardware.

eptrude8

my system uses built-in Sis 630 graphics, Sis 7018 audio and Sis 5513 IDE hardware. 

I have installed the r204a package (year 2003). Did you?

Are you sure you don't have the same problem as mine? (I noticed it only after a few days)

BINGO! :thumbup

After many disastrous atempts to change the IDE driver, several re-instals and many total crashes...I sudenly had an idea:

I re-installed normal windows98se, looked what were the IDE drivers files in "view file details" and saved them in a zip file.

I installed SP2.0. Then I replaced the IDE driver files by the original ones previousely saved in the zip file.

And it worked!

Now I will start enjoying SP2.0 like all of you! hehehehe!

But I have lost a total of 10 hours on this problem alone... :whistle: