Motherboard Advice

lilweirddude

ASUS A8V with AGP8x * for 140.00 US$

ASUS A8V-E with PCI-E* for 170.00 US$

ASUS A8N-SLI with PCI-E SLI* for 180.00 US$

* For now PCI-E isn’t giving ANY performance boost for resolutions under 1280*1024. From 1280*1024 and up you can see some performance gains but still the question is “is it worth it”. SLI is nice, when you have the cash ;).

Also, Zalman all the way for cooling :D.

i'd defenitely go with the zalman for cooling, those things just rock... and for the mobo, i'd go with an asus a8n-sli, you probably don't need the extras of the deluxe version.. i have one here and it works like a charm.. anyway go for an nforce4 one, i have had nothing but bad experiences with via chipsets.. imho their crappyness is the reason why intel dominates the p4 chipset market the way they do..

@ holzer,

VIA isn’t bad, also iNTEL is still dominating the marked because they have a lot of patens on there name, together with better marketing makes it a giant to fight against. It’s NOT VIA that makes AMD bad and sure nVidia did a good job with the chipsets, I would go for a nVidia chipset too, but the VIA is a bit cheaper (looking at price/speed).

@ rjz,

Let me try to explain SLI in plain simple English; SLI is an interface between 2 graphic cards in this case that work together. There for you need a motherboard with dual SLI and for now it’s only supported by dual PCI-E (8x max) motherboards (there are some exceptions but forget them ;). )