Gates Done It Again...

epic

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=506354&page=1

Utter bulls***. Gate's by no means created the PC industry. Microsoft (Gates) was only a TOOL in the success of what PC's are today.

PC's have been around for over 50 years, but by different termonology. If the supercomputer or UNIX had never been in existence Gates would never have conceived of this Idea called Windows.

Before you start to rant here folks... Xerox copier started the entire PC industry, which Gates maliciously acquired. Regardless, with or without Gates' intervention the PC industry would have flurished as it is today. Gates was just to TOOL to expedite its deployment.

UNIX was the first stable operating platform and still is the most dominant, most secure, most reliable, most intelligent, most advanced Operating Platform on the market today.

MOST of all your technology that you interact with operates on UNIX (i.e. Cell phones, Calculators, Scientific calculators, Servers, PDA's (some), Cars, Buses, Satillites, Airplanes, Space shuttles, Microwave dishes, Cable settop boxes, Personal Computers, Super Computers, Servers, routers, switches, hubs, Cable modems, Printers, Copiers, Xerox machines) you name it, the list goes on and on.

So, What does M$ run on, you may ask, Some PDA's, Some Personal Computers, Servers, not very many out there, is there!? By no means Gates created the PC industry. However, Gate's 'can' claim he is the Ferrari of BMW over the UNIX platform.. it looks pretty, cost more has a lot of bells and whistles included with it, BUT it will not last as long.

Here's another hypocritical exposition from Gate's.

http://management.silicon.com/government/0...39127702,00.htm

Fancy he has it in his head that he owns everything he thinks about. I remember when he also attempted to steal Palm, yet turned around and said it's just a "generic name". So in theory, Gates owns MSFN, The United States, Japan, Russia, China, Europe, Mars, Pluto, Venus, Uranuss!, The entire galaxtical solar system.. you get my point.

This is what true arrogance is. He can sprout wings too... if you didnt notice :)

Open Topic

If you think he is correct please post, I want to hear what you have to say. I would like this to be an open debate. It would be nice to hear views from others for or against. Rant all you want but please keep the information factual and back your statements. ;)

suppose you was at his place know, how would you behave?

either you want to admit it or not, he has done a great contribution. maybe he is not the best. and no one is the best. but he still own the respect of many people.

Edited by Stuntgp2000

suppose you was at his place know, how would you behave?

Personally, I would refuse to even visit him even though I do admire 'some' of his works, but if I were at his residence or in his presence and if he proclaimed he created the PC industry I would outright call him a arrogant fool and set him in his place (it would not be the first or last time I have said this to him). I am not a cynic nor am I hypocritical. I would not go out and boast radical statements as "I created the internet or I created the PC", true statements that would get him the respect as; "I helped the growth of the Internet in many ways and I helped with the deployment of PC's into everyday life.", not boasting that he had created something that has been around for ages to come.

either you want to admit it or not, he has done a great contribution. maybe he is not the best. and no one is the best. but he still own the respect of many people.

I just stated he was a TOOL in the evolution of what PC's are today. Yes he played a substantial role as I noted. So please inform me what I am not admitting.

He has not gained the respect he 'should' have Yet when he attempts to pull off stunts as copyright infringments and state they are his, he is a thief and hypocritical.

Gates does not deserve the acknowledgement or the respect one should receive for the creation of anything BUT Windows.

but let's think, suppose at your company you could prevent a worm attacking your network. what would you say? I prevented the attack. but in fact we are all tools, a land can't produce anything if there is no water and so on. did you get the point, actually, it's not Gate who is writing Longhorn code, but programmer who play a role and who have their own purpose.

did you know how many millions of people enjoy PC experience thanks to Microsoft.

Sorry if i responded in a hurch way but I just wanted to be fair. No one is all good

Edited by Stuntgp2000

but let's think, suppose at your company you could prevent a worm attacking your network. what would you say? I prevented the attack. but in fact we are all tools, a land can't produce anything if there is no water and so on. did you get the point, actually, it's not Gate who is writing Longhorn code, but programmer who play a role and who have their own pupose.

I did not miss your point and yes it is the programmers that make what the applications are. But I think your missing what Gates is proclaiming... Gates is proclaiming that he had created the PC market and what they are today. This is a radical statement. Gates has been a tool in the PC market, UNIX has been in development for years, if you had not known, without the influence of Windows.

did you knwo how millions of people enjoying PC experience thanks to Microsoft.
Millions of people were enjoying PC's before Windows ever existed. Unix based systems were around. Yet it is a fact that Windows has made it a bit easier and inflated the use of Computers, but the inflation of computer usage does not equate to the termonology of creation.

Let's put this in theory, say you created a balloon; This ballon was heavy and dull looking but had done it's purpose. So now after several years millions own it and you have received comments that it is clunky and bulky and slow, so you try to develop something more unique faster; however a contention has arisen and creates a balloon less clunky, faster, and 'eye appealing' (but also has holes), yet has a price tag to follow. Now that this person has made a larger margin profit then you and has sold more balloons now boasts that he created the balloon for all its worth.. Yet somewhere in the picture you the designer and the creator is left behind and do not receive the credit for that true worth, but think about it, would you really want all that credit in the first place and just sit back and enjoy the ride?!?!

You get my point? Gates does not deserve any respect or credit for the creation of the Internet or Personal Computer's or the deployment of PC's into homes. This was completed over 50 years ago but since it's birth consumers have developed and inflated the usage since then. The only creators are the users. The tools are those who design and implement it.

Sorry if i responded in a hurch way but I just wanted to be fair. No one is all good

Oh no not at all. I like to hear others opinions. :)

Do you think Gates think fair? Nope... it's business baby!

Now I am 99% ok with you.

the 1% left is for "Gates does not deserve any respect or credit for the creation of the Internet or Personal Computer's". that's not true. Gates deserves respect and I see that he means that Micorosoft/He had greate influence in what PC mean for/look to people today. He/Microsoft had created an envirment to help other PC industries flourish.

Edited by Stuntgp2000

the 1% left is for "Gates does not deserve any respect or credit for the creation of the Internet or Personal Computer's". that's not true.

Your reading it wrong; respect or credit "for the creation".

Gates deserves respect and I see that he means that Micorosoft/He had greate influence in what PC mean for/look to people today.
Microsoft (Gates) does deserve the respect of many for the deployment of Microsoft and has helped the PC industry tremendously, but what is Microsoft. Yet has broken 'several' anti-trust laws along the way.
He/Microsoft had created an envirment to help other PC industries flourish.

True to a point. However, UNIX and OS/2 (I neglected to mention in previous posts) have been there longer than Windows has. OS/2 failed the market as IBM did not promote it's software as well as Windows has done. Nor did IBM / Unix attempt to break anti-trust laws.

But are we forgetting that fact that Microsoft "borrowed" OS/2's look and feal during the Windows 95 era and now. An example of what functionalities were taken for the use of Windows; Each icon was called an “object”, objects having a right click “context menu”, objects having a properties & settings dialog, properties dialog using a tabbed interface for accessing different “pages”, managing system functions (being done in a notebook like interface, like Display Properties), moveing from a text based INI structure to a “registry” (a binary INI structure), cut/paste functions, shortcuts, Explorer, Multithreading, Multitasking, Dynamic linking (DLLs), Interprocess communication (IPC), and so on. Microsoft was then claimed to break anti-trust laws (and well before then and today as well). Windows was built off reference to OS/2 and it seems generations are forgetting this and now state they were Windows conceived.

UNIX, OS/2 and AS/400 have made industries flurish. As far as the home PC industry they helped with it's creation of what it is today. No one identity can claim it's creation or become the creator; Gates is claiming.

Some old articles; consume the knowledge. Hmm that looks similar to Windows95.. BUT Windows created it's look and feel *cough* ;)

*http://pages.prodigy.net/michaln/history/

I find it interesting that mostly everything Windows based is derivited from OS/2 and UNIX.

MOST of all your technology that you interact with operates on UNIX (i.e. Cell phones...
Not mine... Unless that little "Designed for Windows Mobile" logo is just for show :) Running Windows Mobile 2003 SE here and wouldn't have it any other way.
UNIX was the first stable operating platform and still is the most dominant, most secure, most reliable, most intelligent, most advanced Operating Platform on the market today.

That's why the top 5 out of the top 10 most secure servers are running Windows Server 2003... I'll see if I can dig up that report.

Do you think Chevy had an original idea when they decided to make a car? No, Ford was the first... Then there we many others that just made them BETTER. Gates made Xerox's "Windows" BETTER. You can't assume you know the whole truth because you have watched the movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley."

Microsoft (Gates) was only a TOOL in the success of what PC's are today.

The Linux and apple world don't call themselves "PCs" so technically... Yes, he is what made PCs what they are today. Do you think that almost every american household (can't speak for other countries) would have a PC in their house if Windows didn't exist? NO.

Not mine...  Unless that little "Designed for Windows Mobile" logo is just for show  :)  Running Windows Mobile 2003 SE here and wouldn't have it any other way.

I agree that 'some', not all, Cell phones and PDA's are now running some version of Windows Mobile. With today's technology it run's a little faster. Yet, it is UNIX that made what Cell phones are today, not Windows. Yet, you also forget that the satillight that operates and sends that signal to your friends phone is operated by UNIX.

That's why the top 5 out of the top 10 most secure servers are running Windows Server 2003...  I'll see if I can dig up that report.
Oh, really?! I would really want to see this report. What companies where involved, how many companies really took the survey. How many companies have Microsoft employed employee's that would state that *cough* windows is better. In some points it is, but as in security, it is lacking.

Take AS/400's for example, it is virtually imposible for a virus to be written for the Platform. Everything is dependent on a series of objects, unlike Windows which relies upon a string of commands.

Do you think Chevy had an original idea when they decided to make a car?  No, Ford was the first...  Then there we many others that just made them BETTER.

Antitrust laws were not as complex back then. Also, comparing a vehicle to the creation of the PC industry is like comparing apples to oranges.

Gates made Xerox's "Windows" BETTER.
Wow, Xerox created a version of Windows? What version what it? Xerox created a platform that would operate its print servers. By no means were they developing a system that would run on a Home computer. It's a fact that when they failed they would toss the code away left on these machines and start over from scratch.
You can't assume you know the whole truth because you have watched the movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley."

Sorry, but I do not believe half of the fictional information contained in that video, it was all media hype, when I first watched it I laughed my a** off. Also by that statement alone your stating that I am a fan of Michael Moore. Please refrain from comments like this, what gets your age group into trouble.

I know the history of the PC industry (i.e. Hardware, Software) since my 20+ years being employed with IBM, HP and Microsoft. No, I am not boasting my employment history I am just letting you know where I started my successful entrepreneurism.

The Linux and apple world don't call themselves "PCs"
Linux and Apple don't call themselves PC's? So, why are they even on the Personal Computer market or even have millions of subscribers and used in households? It's because they are the competition of Windows, they are in the PC market. I see Gate's has already brainwashed you.

Mac's are expensive, and Apples goal is "Quality". Gates states Apple is going to fade out.. I hardly doubt that and Apple has a long lifespan ahead of them.

If we did not have the great effort Steve Jobs has brought forth to the PC industry we would not have the great DVD quality videos we see today, we probably be still sitting in the BETA catridge era. Look it up if you dont know what a BETA cartidge is ( twice the size of a VHS tape). Television & recording studios still use BETA cartidges since they last longer and display a better image quality.

Digital Photography and Color Engineering is all MOSTLY done by Mac's. Windows is able to do this, but it is unable to pick up the fine flaws, Most of all your Halmark cards are designed off of Mac's and printed via Xerox production copiers running Macintosh, UNIX, and or Xerox print servers.

Yes, he is what made PCs what they are today.

So, without; Intel, AMD, ARM, 3M, HP, Apple, Xerox, Compaq, IBM, SUN, Solaris, Western Digital, Seagate, Fujitsu, Micron, Samsung, Sony, Pioneer, Mitsubishi, InterNIC, Soltech, Asus, APC (most common vendors today and dominent) and so many more to list. Microsoft single handedly created what the PC market is today!?

Do you think that almost every american household (can't speak for other countries) would have a PC in their house if Windows didn't exist?  NO.

Sure, why wouldnt there be. Microsoft had only inflated technology, but did not create it.

I challenge you to read up on the history of the Hardware and Software Industry. HP, IBM & Compaq, Intel, AMD have made what the PC industry is today along side UNIX/Sun, OS/2, Windows, Linux and Apple to name the dominent vendors out there today.

How can people conceive that one identity (namely Microsoft) created the PC industry as it is today? You can't!

How many companies have Microsoft employed employee's that would state that *cough* windows is better. In some points it is, but as in security, it is lacking.
Maybe you missed the most recent news story in the Seattle Times about this... http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/busi...security17.html
Mac's are expensive, and Apples goal is "Quality".

Maybe you didn't read this news story either... about how Apple has been selling old equipment as new, deliberately shortening warranty periods, and breaching confidentiality.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/18/ap...ustomers_legal/

I know that Microsoft alone was not responsible for the PC industry... but I will say that they are responsible for moving it along faster than any other company.

Another small point to note is the fact that most people in the world have no idea what UNIX is. Go up to a stranger and ask them if they know what UNIX is. Chances are they won't.

Bill Gates is, and has been, a very good businessman. He saw the need for a consumer product and went about the process of building a company around it.

The only reason why Windows has been plagued by "security holes" is because people who feel the need to write viruses and worms have mainly targeted Windows based systems because they are the most common. If Linux was the primary OS on all of our computers, we would most definately see a large number of viruses that would attack Linux.

• 2 years later...

Why am I editing my posts after such a long period of time ?

For me PCs are not appliances and I don't see users as consumers. I don't accept knowledge to be monopolized as it is today by big companies, and I don't accept software patents because they are acquired for one thing to restrict innovation and technological advancement.

Thankfully, there are people with good will, have passion for computing, and do great innovation. These people are Free & Open Source Software people/movement.

Today, I am happy I am using Gnu/Linux and Free Software and I am willing to help everyone to get introduced to such a wonderful experience.

For me PCs are not appliances and I don't see users as consumers. I don't accept knowledge to be monopolized as it is today by big companies, and I don't accept software patents because they are acquired for one thing to restrict innovation and technological advancement.

As weird as it may be, the PC is still generally a tool really. To get things done. Sure, a lot of games are written for them, but the main purpose of a PC still is, and always will be, a tool. To get complex things done.

Don't get me wrong, a PC is still a great way to pass time. And they do it really well, I've come to the realization that a PC can be the biggest waste of time :P

I can spend all kinds of time trying to fix something, and in the end, learn nothing from it :blink:

Personally he dumb down the computer world. Have you seen the Comercials for Vista showing the 3d movement in Vista. We had that in 98 and on the 1989 Macintosh why is it show special. So now people are thing to think that there Computer is literially in a 3d enviorment like in a cartoon. When in truth it is just using up resorces.

Look all he did was just bring computers down to a Home Simpson level. Where everbody ask when is the GUi or drag and drop version of this is comming up instead of making there own little grammy.

The Apple was like a game system and could have been but they pulled that built in screen crap and jacked the price.

Windows my arse. there was Windows in my programs and personally I miss the DOS command line program selector screen.

In fact if I could afford it I would build my super computer. install Red Hat on unix or whatever it is, and install Wine and DOS box. presto an enviorment which I can run almost anything including.

Then what about the Apple II, Amiga, and the CC64?

The problem is the PC age is over and done with and is a real problem. Nobody needs all these advancements and nobody is ready for them. I feel so smug when I look at these things I mean why even bother anymore.

If they can make a 3d realistic flying owl in the movie Labyrinth that is one year after I am born my question is how and what and can make the same owl using my year 2000 computer?

Then again back then all we was concerned with was images thanks to to windows rather then programming or even using the computer correctly.