Win2k Dos Mode Install Error

dman

I am getting a failure doing DOS based setup (winnt.exe) with win2k pro. During file copy the progress bar gets to 97%, then get messages "Failed to copy file" on the following:

kernel32.dl_

ntdll.dll

winsrv.dll

shlwdc.dll

Can anyone confirm this, or should I start this experiment again?

EDIT:

I am using latest XPCREATE. This disk builds with no errors, and works fine doing CD boot install, with all updates incorporated.

Original source disk is Feb 2000 MSDN version win2k pro (no service pack)

This is not a CD read error. The i386 folder is resident on the hard disk being set up. The files are there and I can copy them manually. I am going to try running xpcreate again and see if this reproduces.

EDIT:

re-ran xpcreate, copied cdroot folder directly to blank hard diskdisk and tried install- same result. I am attaching txtsetup.sif file left on root of setup drive. not sure if its relevant or not yet.

Yes, original source works fine. Also, I have done this twice with different disks, so I dont think it is an error with the media or in copying.

Also, the file DOES appear to have been copied. It is in the $WIN_NT$.~LS\i386 temp directory left on setup disk.

Just to be clear... this error occurs during the initial dos mode blue-screen-with-yellow-progress-bar portion of setup, before the machine reboots into windows portion of setup.

Hmmm ... TXTSETUP.SIF is not touched by XPCREATE, except if SATA/RAID drivers are being integrated. DOSNET.INF, on the otherhand, has probably been updated.

It's been a while since I did a DOS based install, so I am a little rusty, but ... post your LOGFILES.CAB file, and I will take a look. I'm a bit busy, but I'll try to look at it ... soon ...

Thanks GM. Logfiles posted on first topic of this thread.

dosnet.inf seems to be a clue. The last section reads:

[Files]
d1,hfsecper.inf
d1,hfsecupd.inf
d1,iecustom.dll
d1,kdcsvc.dll
d1,llsrpc.dll
d1,llssrv.exe
d1,rdpwd.sys
d1,spupdsvc.exe
d1,wmp.dll
d1,wmpcore7.dll
d1,wmpcore8.dll
d1,UNIPROC\kernel32.dl_
d1,UNIPROC\ntdll.dll
d1,UNIPROC\win32k.sy_
d1,UNIPROC\winsrv.dl_
d1,XPCLNT_QFE_BINARYDROP\shlwapi.dll
d1,XPSP2_BINARYDROP\shlwapi.dll

The four files that have a problem are listed here at the end. These files ARE in the CDROOT tree

PS.

How about Tedy? He's one of my favs (despite what he done to my Eagles). Hope he's OK. Man, if it can happen to a guy like that... makes you think.

OK. Now it's starting to ring some bells. I bet if Bilou_Gateux see's this, he will remember something as well. Could I get you to post the new DOSNET.INF file. ALso, if you could now remove all the other attachments, it'll save MSFN a little space and bandwidth.

Yea, that's terrible about Tedy. Even if you hate the other team, some guys deserve respect. I mean, I don't wish any bad on Jeter (A-Fraud is another story ... ). And how can any fun-loving, red-blooded American male NOT love a guy with a name like that! However, if I were him, I would have to seriously reconsider. He's got a couple of kids, and a lot left to do off the field. In Boston, we still remember Reggie Lewis ...

Anyways, I'll try to look into the DOSNET thingy later on today or tonight.

OK, I seem to remember a similar problem noted by Bilou_Gateux. Could you please try this solution?

If you still have the CDROOT directory, we will use that. If not, change DELROOT to NO in XPCREATE.INI, and re-run XPCREATE.

Remove the last 6 lines from DOSNET.INF in the CDROOT\I386 directory. Specifically, these lines:

d1,UNIPROC\kernel32.dl_

d1,UNIPROC\ntdll.dll

d1,UNIPROC\win32k.sy_

d1,UNIPROC\winsrv.dl_

If you need an ISO or CD, open a DOS Windows in your XPCREATE directory, and type:
CDIMAGE -LXPCREATE -YD -N -H -X -OCI -M -D -BBOOT\XPCTBOOT.BIN CDROOT XPCREATE.ISO

If you do not use the ISO/CD, CDROOT with the modified DOSNET.INF should work fine.

I think I do not need to add the names of files in the subdirectories to DOSNET.INF, and that is what is causing your woes. On a CD based installation, DOSNET.INF is not used this way, so the problem does not manifest itself.

Please post your findings!

(And again, I got the attachment, so you can delete it now)

That also shows that nearly nobody uses the DOS based installs.

Probably not. Most home users probably do cd install, while most corporate probably do unattend winnt32.exe. I find DOS based install convenient because I have 5 computers of varying vintage with pull-out racks, about a dozen hard disks that may end up in any one of them. (I test a lot of code, both mine and others and often need clean installs). I prep the disks with fat32 and copy installation folder to root. This way I just have to shove a disk-rack in a machine, boot my dos cdrom and autostart winnt.exe. This is much faster than CD install, plus with i386 dir on hard drive windows doesn't keep bugging me to insert installation disk.

I am starting to work with BartPE as a rescue tool, maybe I will try doing winnt32.exe setup from PE boot.

Thanks Again

dman

About 841356

Strange i don t retrieve info about the others DOSNET.INF append in any thread but for sure i delete all the added lines.

Bilou Gateux self-proclamed "expert" to figure out 2K issues answer page 5 Windows 2K Security Updates, detailed info thread.

My prefered methods for Starting Setup are:

from RIS server

WINNT32.EXE When the Computer is Running Any 32-bit Windows Operating System

WINNT.EXE sometimes When the Computer is Running DOS TCP/IP network boot

Never burn a XPCREATE CD to Starting Setup When the Computer is Started from the Product CD