Unattend Install Prompts For Monitor Driver?

RichM

I am currently using the Drivers from CD: Simple Method, as suggested in this topic to solve the problem of the Unattend Install Prompting For Monitor Driver.

This is my winnt.sif

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
AutoPartition=0
MsDosInitiated="0"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"
AutomaticUpdates="Yes"

[Unattended]
FileSystem=*
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
OemSkipEula=Yes
OemPreinstall=Yes
UnattendSwitch=Yes
TargetPath=\WINDOWS
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

[GuiUnattended]
DetachedProgram=".\system32\cmd.exe"
Arguments="/Q /C FOR /F %I IN (%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\$WINNT$.INF) DO (FOR %J IN (%I$OEM$) DO (IF EXIST %J (start /min /D%J NirCmd.exe exec hide Drivers.cmd)))"
AdminPassword=*
EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
OEMSkipRegional=1
TimeZone=130
OemSkipWelcome=1

[Display]
Xresolution=800
YResolution=600
AutoConfirm=1

[UserData]
ProductKey=xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
FullName="Windows XP"
OrgName="Professional"
ComputerName=Windows

[TapiLocation]
CountryCode=357
Dialing=Tone

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=4
SystemLocale=00000408
UserLocale=00000408
UserLocale_DefaultUser=00000408
InputLocale=0408:00000408
InputLocale_DefaultUser=0409:00000409

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Components]
msmsgs=off
msnexplr=off

I have also tried installing KB883667 as suggested in this topic, no luck either, propably because I already have all the latest windows updates.

The problem of Unattend Install Prompting For Monitor Driver still exists though. What else can I try?

You were right. KB883667 does work! I have no idea what was wrong with my I386, but as soon as I re-copied it from the CD to my HDD, and tried to slipstream KB883667, it all went very smooth. Then I did a fresh install on the laptop, and there were no popups asking for drivers. Perfect! :)

• 4 months later...

I was having the same problem (pausing during install while NHW looked for a monitor driver) so I followed http://support.microsoft.com/?id=814847 (supplied by Bashrat) to fix my unattended install running off a W2K3 RIS server with the kb883667 hotfix.

Bashrat, I'm not sure why integrating the hotfix would not work as you mentioned; I tested it and it worked fine. My understanding is that any hotfix can be integrated (I use the SVCPack method). The only reason I wouldn't integrate it is because it is easy for me to see what hotfixes have been applied using SVCPack and also allows me to remove a hotfix should I need to.

• 2 months later...

sorry to bring back a basicly dead thread, but I am really looking for an answer to this.

I have a Windows 2003 server running RIS which works great, unless there is an intel video card on the client computer. When the intel card is present, the prompt for monitor driver happens.

I downloaded the WindowsXP-KB883667-x86-enu.exe file posted above, but I cannot integrate it because I already have SP2 integrated in the build. Does anyone have any ideas? Or does anyone have a how-to on integrating the WindowsXP-KB883667-x86-enu.exe, maybe I missed something.

• 4 years later...

I just wanted to add that I had the same problem here. During the monitor driver install part, the popup for 'plug and play monitor' was showing up 2 or 3 times and you have to go through the prompts even though nothing was really accomplished by that because the drivers were self-installed anyway. Yes very frustrating. I was using an XP SP2 install CD for a DELL D620. The D620 does not have a specific driver for the monitor so the MS generic one is installed.

I tried all those suggestions for WINNT.SIF, those 2 driver signing settings to ignore, everything was set to full unattended and this problem was still popping up. Then I tried integrating SP3 into the install CD. This alone fixed this problem for me. I wanted to pass that along, it might work for someone else.