Unattend Install Prompts For Monitor Driver?

RichM

My drivers are all installing fine in unattended XP install, out of the $OEM$\$1\Drivers directory. Video, audio, system, NIC, etc. Identical Dell OptiPlex GX280s. But one has a dell 17" flat panel monitor, and one has a 15". no drivers listed on Dell site...

So during install with the 15", setup suddenly asks if I want to connect to the Internet to search for drivers for the monitor. clicking no, install automatically, it comes to Finish, then setup continues without a hitch. Display seems fine when all is done, and no special monitor drivers have been loaded. But it made setup STOP :realmad: in the middle so it could ask me to provide nothing meaningful. So 1) is there a log I'm missing somewhere as to where PnP didn't find the drivers it wanted (and what that specifically was)? or 2) is there a way to tell setup that if it doesn't find a particular driver then tough luck, no it MAY NOT stop and ask, it must finish the install like a good setup program?

I thought you hit the nail on the head, I found the syntax and charged over to my winnt.sif and... Doh! it's already in there. ****. Guess that wasn't it. Here's an excerpt from my winnt.sif file. ITMT I'm gonna have a surf for "winnt.sif too long", seems like I saw something on that, maybe something's not getting processed? mine's kinda long, but not terribly.....

[unattended]Unattendmode = FullUnattended

OemPreinstall = Yes

TargetPath = \WINDOWS

Filesystem = ConvertNTFS

OEMSkipEula = Yes

UnattendSwitch = Yes

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

DisableDynamicUpdates=Yes

NtUpgrade = No

Hibernation = 0

CrashDumpSetting = 0

Repartition = Yes

OemPnpDriversPath=Drivers\00_sys;Drivers\net;Drivers\vid;Drivers\Aud

DisableDynamicUpdates

Value: Yes | No

Default: Yes

Instructs Setup not to connect to the Windows Update site to download any available Windows Setup updates or necessary drivers that were not included on the Windows CD-ROM.

DisableDynamicUpdates is equivalent to the command:

winnt32 /unattend /disabledynamicupdates

Dynamic updates are disabled by default so corporate administrators can more easily standardize on a known set of Windows system components.

Yes

Instructs Setup not to connect to the Windows Update site.

No

Instructs Setup to connect to the Windows Update site to download any available Windows XP Setup updates. Setup also downloads any necessary drivers that were not included on the Windows XP CD-ROM.

RyanVM THANKS! :)  guess Dell's search on their support website is about useless then, it was no help on drivers for monitors...

Yeah, it is. I generally just put it a system that's likely to have whatever hardware piece as an option on it when I'm looking for drivers. I've got a 2001FP personally, so I feel your pain :P

Not to mention a Truemobile 1300 in my laptop thought I bought seperate.

Hmmm, I dont agree - I was trying to find driver for external USB floppy today (btw no luck, I needed to download similar driver from vendor) and I noticed after providing ServiceTag (And selecting all downloads) there was monitor section

well... I'm not exactly sure what system the monitor came from... I have 4 different types of Dell Optiplexes at my desk, and none of the monitors actually came with any of the 4 that I have here. (plus I use MS VPC because sometimes waiting to burn a CD is too long a wait :) )

so I just tried searching for monitor drivers, for 151fp, looking for a monitor device group, etc... gave up after 30 minutes -- may not sound long but I have gotten up to speed from ground zero with a working AIO DVD after 3 days, including cdshell customized, BartPE customized, multiple encrypted product keys, etc, etc :blink:

usually the Dell site is good, and I only buy Dells if I can help it.

Ah an update.... Found New Hardware Wizard:

used winnt.sif from floppy, minus the DisableDynamicUpdates = Yes switch...

Told it I would choose a driver for this device, it failed, said there "was a problem installing this hardware:

6R644387L30YDell E151FPp

An error occured during the installation of this device

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element"

I haven't added the drivers that Ryan linked to, I will in a minute (+rebuild ISO + reburn DVD-RW + re-run setup from DVD)

Yep... DVD-RW x4 is good... x12 is better

I just finished with the added drivers and it worked fine, no stopping. so either it was the drivers, or it was adding the space on either side of the =, as in:

DisableDynamicUpdates = Yes

not

DisableDynamicUpdates=Yes

does the space matter??

Yes I see that, it isn't taking my TCP/IP settings and there were no spaces there, I changed to spaces and it still isn't taking them. So many things to do, so little time :blink:

I'd bet there's already info on TCP/IP though... :)

Ok this is getting annoying.... all my drivers are loading, but that pesky screen keeps coming up! There was another post, another thread, that someone recommended adding:

[Display]

BitsPerPel = 32

XResolution = 1024

YResolution = 768

VRefresh = 60

AutoConfirm = 1

I did this, no change. (I had everything but VRefresh and AutoConfim already in there)

It's the stupid Plug and Play Monitor being detected. Note that setup doesn't actually stop, it continues and right before the screen blanks a few times (installing the OEM video drivers I assume) the hardware detection dialog goes away. I included the monitor drivers in the drivers\00_sys directory, but it doesn't install them. After setup is through, I can go in and update the monitor drivers manually, using the files in the drivers\00_sys directory, and then it installs them fine. Nothing seems to change, but how do I make the stupid detection box not come up?!?!?!

DisableDynamicUpdates does not do it, by the way :(