Watch Out With Kb885250

Yes I agree, I has same network problems.

I was about to reinstall Windows XP on my computer, thinking of a corruption problem or else.

Luckily I found your post. I removed KB885250. And now I see my network files back !

My config : 2 PCs with Windows XP SP2 and all updates. Linked by a netgear WGT624 router. Making mapped network drives with the admin shares shares between the 2 PC. Same login and password on both. Full rights to acces all files and folders.

When this KB885250.exe was installed, I encountered some "bizarre" problems.

Folders were missing, coouldn't see them, but when typing it in the address bar, I could access it. In a folder I could see all .doc files, but not .xls files. It was really weard :s

I was getting this pb on both pc accessing shares of the other one.

Hope Microsoft will dare correct this issue ;)

It was the weirdest of problems: I could see my shares, most files and dirs of the

root of it, but if I opened the dirs, some came empty across the network (but

contained some files and forders for real on my main computer).

I was able to determine the exact windows update that causes this problem:

KB885250 - Security update

exactly the same phenomenon here!

KB885250 installs a "mrxsmb.sys" version 5.1.2600.2598 that causes these problems.

the latest non-bugged "mrxsmb.sys" version 5.1.2600.2541 from 14.12.2004 (can't remember the KB-Nr) does not cause that problem...

• 1 month later...
Well I'm running a W2K AD domain.  No stinkin WINS, thus NetBIOS is disabled via DHCP (and a machine startup script to catch those 1394, VPN, VMware adapters).  I also disable the Computer Browser service via GPO.  Strict DNS.  No issues.

I recommend Mark Minasi's Mastering Windows 2000 (or 2003).  His Mastering Windows 2000 was a masterpiece.  Very readable and easy to understand yet also thorough.

Rogue, I'd be interested in seeing that machine startup script you have there ;) And you're very correct about Mark Minasi's work, fine stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

The problems with this patch seem to affect mixed OS environments, particularly if there are older OSs involved. If the "server" is a WIN98 machine, 'Save As' is disabled in many Apps.

MS have at last acknowledged some of the problems with this hotfix.

Go to

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895900/

for another patch to fix the problem - if their comments apply. Sounds like a new hotfix is on the way from Win Update

Finally I've found some people with the same problem. However I've found that installing KB885835 already causes this problem, Ryan might remember me posting this on his forum. I just copy the unpatched sp2 mrxsmb.sys (version 5.1.2600.2180 I haven't bothered to find a newer one) in my clean.cmd script. At first I thought it was because I used Nlite on my iso, but then I checked with a clean sp2 install with ryan's hotfix pack and found I had the same problem, missing folders, files and empty folders. Let's indeed hope there is a hotfix on the way, I don't really fancy checking each new update for another bugged mrxsmb.sys.