Extracting Outlook From Office

bowser

1) Create a transform (using the "Custom Installation Wizard" included in the ORK) that only includes Outlook.

2) Use Office Shrink with your Transform on a "clean" PC to get just the needed files.

3) Use Astalavistas method to 7zip the result (optional)

I have used this method to separate all the component apps within office, so that I can install any one alone (though I rarely use them).

Two pieces of advice for anyone wanting to create separate installs -

1) Create a Ghost image of your "clean system" - 2-3 minutes to restore instead of 55mins for re-install.

2) Be VERY careful about selecting EXACTLY the same shared components for each one or your may get problems with one app breaking another.

OOO - just had a thought :w00t: - How about a "Base" install for these, and sep' installs for apps? Sorta like BTS's driver packs.

Using Ghost is faster than a complete Ua re-install, but if you (want to) change something you will have to create a new image (or new CD). The ultimate solution would IMHO be something like this:

- Create the Ua Setup with all applications on a different drive/partition

- Run the normal setup UNTIL the first reboot (just after TEXTMODE is completed)

- Create a (Ghost) image

- Load the image (it will start setup from the begining of the GUI part)

- Let setup complete

If there is a new version of some software just update the files on the other drive but leave the names of the files exactly like they are. Then load the image again and the setup starts over. saves a whole bunch of time but can take a lot of space, biggest advantage is that you can use a networkdrive for the software you want installed.

a ghost image is an image that you make of a fresh install of windows, and all the apps that you would normally install. At my work i would install XP, office 2003, VNC, and a program called Citrix. I would then do all my updates for Windows and Office. then use Symantec Ghost to create an "image of my computer", so that if i have 10 of the same machines i can just use that "image" and i have 10 perfectly good machines done in 30 mins instead of 1.5 hours per machine