Internet Explorer 7.0

Martin Zugec

Too little too late.... while Nero fiddles, some type of partnership between any/all/additional of the following parties will take over the comsumer OS market:

Google(they'll soon own just about everyone), Sony/IBM/Toshiba/Motorola(for newly announced revolutionary processor, 16+gb flash mem, terabyte compact disc & terabyte server disk home products, & present / past demonstrated ability to form strategic alliances)...)/Sun(for grid arrays of multiple ram/processors<bypass bus>, browser, & possibly OS)/Apple(maybe for OS if they're on the ball, & they did partner up before with IBM & Motorola for Power Pc, as well worked on virtual windows)/Athlon(big maybe if they're smart to adapt)/(cutting edge multi-gig flash developments,

Leading to one or both of the following happnenings: another OS & platform will supplant Windows(& Intel) AND/OR MS(intel too) will be taken over or fade away...

Just a crystal ball-- NOT an agenda....

If Microsoft seperates the IE with Windows Longhorn, I personally don't think it will increase the Windows Longhorn's security.

like Windows XP, there are more than 1000 known and unknown flows and bugs. so, If Microsoft seperates IE with Windows, I have a doubt, Will this act increase the Windows Security?

I won't ever touch IE again. Never. M$ doesn't know the meaning of security. I use nLite to remove 420+ MBs of bloat from Windows (Which includes includes everything to do with IE except for the hardcoded deep-down kernal-thingamabobber integration). I use Firefox and my girlfriend uses Opera. Both of our PCs are nLited. Most people have between 1.0 - 1.5 GBs of stuff in C:\WINDOWS\. I have less than 250 MBs and less than 300 MBs once everything of mine is installed. The good thing about that is that it's 50 MBs of stuff I intentially put in there. Not M$ bloat. I recommend everyone on Win2k, XP and Server 2003 to use nLite, not only because it removes bloat but if you really want to get rid of IE.... it's the best.

Well, just think about it - what is the biggest security problem of Microsoft?

It is not that they are not able to program good code.

It is not that architecture of OS is unsecure.

The biggest problem is backward compatibility - releasing w9x was worst mistake professional company could do. Concept of object, activex objects, powerfull user accounts etc. isnt just something that fits to my personal view of security.

Because of this microsoft created .NET Framework - it is great, secure, easy to learn etc. And IE7 will be based on .NET, so I think it will be great jump forward. And that is why I cant agree with Argon - U can create it independently and still maintain compact, just look at longhorns Monad

hi all

i agree with soulin :yes: , ie is very important to many application that are very commen in my country and i believe in so many places too,

win9x is not a mistake its good and fast and requires less hardware than others needed, and u cant use the old giant DOS to play ur tricks without win9x if im right so every thing needs its proper era

I won't ever touch IE again. Never. M$ doesn't know the meaning of security. I use nLite to remove 420+ MBs of bloat from Windows (Which includes includes everything to do with IE except for the hardcoded deep-down kernal-thingamabobber integration). I use Firefox and my girlfriend uses Opera. Both of our PCs are nLited. Most people have between 1.0 - 1.5 GBs of stuff in C:\WINDOWS\. I have less than 250 MBs and less than 300 MBs once everything of mine is installed. The good thing about that is that it's 50 MBs of stuff I intentially put in there. Not M$ bloat. I recommend everyone on Win2k, XP and Server 2003 to use nLite, not only because it removes bloat but if you really want to get rid of IE.... it's the best.

I agree. Since they control 90+% of the home OS market, they have no reason to offer a competitive security solution (or otherwise). The very idea of having a browser integrated into ANYTHING is crazy.

Mozilla and firefox all the way :)

@Jeremy: can you share you nlite settings with the group? I too removed some bloat, but the numbers you're talking about are huge.

The days are not going well for microsoft .once upon a time many feel small about LINUX now it is the only big one.New competition is coming soon on release of Longhorn and fedora core 4.

At present the best browser is

NETSCAPE 7.2=firfox v1.0+mozilla 1.7.5+Thunderbird

Netscape is best now with all features.

Ok...

1st thing for this thread -

NO FLAMES, ONLY DISCUSSION :)

Now we can begin talking about browsers, I am quite interested in your opinions.

As administrator for big company I must really appreciate the architecture of Windows based on objects. It is quite unstable and unsecured, but it is best step to future and I hope so we will see the better results in longhorn. Why? .NET, Monad etc...

About security - AFAIK IE7 will be based on .NET and activex and object will run in something similar to XP SP2 LockDown Zones. That sounds great.

My personal favourite browser is IE+Maxthon, secured using Windows XP SAFER architecture - dont see any reason why to change or why should mozilla/opera/firefox be better.

BTW about security - do you really think firefox is more secure? One thing I received this morning (from Shavlik, which is really important player on patch and security ground) - many corporate stations with FireFox were attacked by some malicious code during last threee days. I am not sure, if it is hoax

The file C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\8oyc8wso.default\Cache\4648EE12d014648EE12
D01 is infected with the RemAdm-ProcLaunch Remote Admin Tool.