Explorer - Details View - Listing By Date Problem

jdc_tech

Hi, I have directories filled with files that lead with a 'date'. ie- 010105, January 1, 2005 and this format covers years 2000-2005 for instance. Problem with XP now is, before in w2k or w9x, in 'details' view and then sorted by name, oldest files would be displayed at the 'top' of the list, and scroll down to see then the most recent, all 0-9 and in that order. Now xp puts the 'newer' list 0-9 first, and the older below. I know others have seen this and I'm looking for the reg tweaks that put xp explorer back to 'normal'. -thanks, jdc

I might be telling you to suck eggs here, but here goes.

One of Two things could fix your problem if I've read and understood it correctly. In windows explorer you have separated into Name - Size - Type - Date Modified etc. If you press on the bar labeled Name, then it will recatagorise the names in order or reverse order. If you do the same with Date Modified in will similarly displace the contents in the order that they were modified or in the reverse order. adjusting one of these two areas will hopefully resolve your issue.

Cheers

Zac

Zac, we're talking the exact thing. Ok, and when you sort by 'name', the files used to sort 0-9, then A-Z. This still happens except-

010105.mp3 (January 1st, 2005)

010205.mp3

010305.mp3

010405.mp3

010505.mp3

052804.mp3

052904.mp3

060104.mp3

072404.mp3

091504.mp3

etc.

So, xp now puts 2005 at top and 2004 at bottom. -the reverse of listing the oldest named files by 'name' first. A-Z still works like regular, but not with numbered file names. If you 're-sort' (click again) by name, and have it flip top to bottom, it will then put the block of 2005 lowest to highest on the bottom, and the 2004 highest to lowest on top. It's quite an entertaining 'feature.' I'd love to change this behavior w/a reg tweak if one exists.

thanks, jdc

well when it reads it, it reads from left to right. I suggest maybe starting the date with the year and then the date, like 050201 - February 1, 2005 and I believe that will give you what you are looking for. It appears to be the same as before its just he naming convention you have used has made it sort that way, it doesn't read and sort from right to left, but rather left to right, there for 01 comes before 09.

But maybe I misunderstood

Yep, that's one solution. In things too it will also do below-

010105.mp3

010104.mp3

010103.mp3

010205.mp3

010204.mp3

010203.mp3

010603.mp3

012505.mp3

It'll sort by first four characters, then by the year.

But in all things, w9x, w2k, w3.1, did things the 'tradional way' so, xp changed, is a reg key somewhere and maybe not ever found.

If tweak ever found, I'll post, thnx for the replies.

jdc

The only change that I know of in the method Windows XP uses to list files is that it has an added "feature" that will recognize numbers and sort them sequentially. So a list of 11 numbered items would be listed:

1.jpg

2.jpg

-

-

-

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Whereas previous versions of Windows would have listed them as:
1.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

2.jpg

-

-

-

9.jpg

Not sure if this is at all related to your issue, but just thought I would mention it.

Found it. Not for what I was into, but that switch in xp powertoys. Explorer.. Settings (top of explorer tree), -intuitive filename sorting. That one does the 10 before 5. For the orig prob, I went ahead and renamed all the files by year first, change of habit isn't too bad, and done deal forever. Thanks for all the replies.

jdc

Update- found other programs react this same way by sorting the files first from the left then through to the right. I thought this was new in xp, and saw differently in w2k, but maybe not. Anyway, it does sort things like below and excel and another app looks at things the same way.

010104.mp3

010205.mp3

010404.mp3

010503.mp3

010602.mp3

010701.mp3

-cheers.

jdc