Unattended Legal

grandam_99

hi, I would like to know legaly in Canada am I alowed to sell windows xp home license win a copy of my unattended copy of windows xp with the computers that I sell like the recovery cd's that Dell, Hp, Compaq do. there is only freeware software that I added to my lets say recovery cd's

Thanks

Yeah its legal ANYWHERE in the world :P

Only thing to make sure of is, if the license you are giving is home edition retail, even the uA install CD should be made from that alone. You can't make make a uA disc from XP corp. and supply a home edition license/COA with it and still call it legal....

if we dont supply the the cdkey?

In that case, you're liable to whatever your law provides for punishment....

Rather, it works like this:

Your customers have bought X number of licenses (or packages) of XP, or you have bought it on their behalf (as in vendor packaging pre-installed deals). You HAVE to give them all the boxes/licenses/keys/discs. And since the agreement allows making one backup copy, you can effectively make a uA disc with lot of freeware and drivers and customizations (such as logo, regtweaks, etc.) and give this alongwith with the rest of the package to the customer.

Now, you can decide that you want to give such a (added) disc at no extra cost to him, or you may say "pay me X dollars and I'll bundle along a uA disc in the package deal". Now its clear?

Also, its not necessarily limited to include freeware alone. You can include whatever commercial apps for which the customer has bought licenses.

although I'm sure some people are "distributing" said technology without permission

but I'd say there's a good chance they'll get caught

know what 3 hots and a cot are?

know the rules to avoid the above