Sample Video, Audio, Streaming Media

I've not seen a post dedicated to links to media to test all the different codecs. As there are so many codecs I propose we get a list together of small video, audio, streaming or downloadable links to enable testing of the Unattended Codec-pack (Thanks swgreed you're the best :thumbup ) with your favorite player.

Ok here it is the page:

Video and Audio Codec Test Page

Please send me links. I'll be updating the page and putting up the links I have/can find as and when.

I think this is only necessary for people who install those "Mega Codec Pack"and other useless(!) stuff..

The ONLY things you need to PLAY everything:

FFDshow,

Real & Quicktime Alternative,

Ogg codecs (www.illiminable.com/ogg/ (also enable theora and flac support).

thats really everything you need.

the advantages are, no need for installing lots of things you don't even know (that's where the TESTpage is handy!) and not only that... FFDshow uses less resources and is the best to play your videofile... these are facts... so there is no reason why not to use it!

From the little information I could find on ffdshow, it seems it's not quite stable yet. Quite a few people have reported crashes or unstable machines.

Has anyone else used it and could comment on their experiences?

ffdshow not stable?

there are unstable beta versions available... ofcourse beta software is unstable..

If you use the latest alpha release from the official site, it is perfectly stable...

So don't use the 2005 versions that can be downloaded from several sites... but use the final alpha version from the official site--> DOWNLOAD: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...ackage_id=59355

there are some threads here... but they are mostly about the 2005 versions:

http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?forumid=54

and general info about why to use ffdshow instead of codecpacks:

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/ffdshow.html

there are unstable beta versions available... ofcourse beta software is unstable..

If you use the latest alpha release from the official site, it is perfectly stable...

So don't use the 2005 versions that can be downloaded from several sites... but use the final alpha version from the official site

When a product comes out of Alpha it is upgraded to Beta, therefore Alpha final edition is less stable or often the same as Beta 1.

Alpha software should never really be put on your PC, this is usually the domain of the developers test machine.

well with Alpha I mean Final... not something worse then Beta :)

but see for yourself on the sites... I have never heard people complaining about ffdshow... just plays everything you need. with the other pros mentioned... I don't see why one would still use codecpacks... perhaps if one doesn't believe it can be so simple.