Drive Sharing, C And D Drive Sharing Problem

rahul_puri20

Hi all,

I am working on windows 2000 professional and i am facing a small issue.Everytime i start my system my c and d drive (2 partitions) both shows as shared with a hand below the drive and i have to manually choose the option " do not share the drive" everytime.I have a cable internet so dont want to share my drive on the network.Share name always comes as C$ and D$ respectively.Help in this regard will be hightly appreciated.

Regards,

The circumstances you describe gives an impression that looks like a worm/virus or something has landed on your system. Someone else who has experienced this might come along and see this topic and give a solution....

Else, if no other solution comes through, what you have to do is disable file/folder sharing altogether, by stopping the service. Plus, de-activate the "Server" mode and leave only "Workstation" enabled.

Else, if you'd rather eliminate the virus than keep it dormant, you'd be better off doing a re-install with merged ServicePacks and hot-fixes - and install a good anti-virus with updated definitions.

everything with a $-sign at the end is an administrative share. they are always enabled by default afaik, and can only be accessed if you have administrative rights.

they are pretty handy if you have an administrator account on the machine that you want to access. you dont have to manually share a single folder, just to access some files. actually, i almost only use admin-shares, because its easier.

the only way to permanently disable them is by, disableing sharing altogether. but i wouldnt know why youd want to.

remember, only administrators can access them. the cable company would need the username and password of an account with sufficient rights on your machine, to use these shares

hi! :) rahul_puri20 how it going thier!? fortunetly i'm also having problem with $ its seriously come out with a problem and its also vulnarable to work and spyware... i use a batch script to disable the share like c$ d$ etc... try to use net share c$ /delete on the script and input it on the user account scripting logins... hope this will help you! :) stay cool!!! :)

Added this registry setting to my servers at work.

Use a registry editing tool to navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters

Insert a value with the following details:

Data Type: DWORD

Value Name: AutoShareServer (if using a Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 Server variant)

AutoShareWks (if using Windows XP or Windows 2000 Professional)

Value: 0

Restart the computer for the changes to take effect

However if you are the only computer connected to the internet in your house and have no internal network then i would remove file and print sharing and client for microsoft networks. This will allow only tcp/ip connections and all windows file sharing functions all together will be turned off.