Can't get QuickTime to play in Firefox

Dobby

I'm testing my UXPCD on Virtual PC and when browsing to the QuickTime test in Firefox it says QuickTime plugin requires QuickTime 5 browser extension.

My Firefox install is the zipped version of Firefox (no installer). I'm manually registering extensions, themes, associations, etc.

QuickTime, Realplayer plugins are from QuickTime and Real Alternative.

I want to use Winamp to play any audio or video that doesn't play in Firefox.

Is there a way to get the Quicktime extensions without installing QuickTime (Did I miss something from QuickTime Alternative)??

Is this even possible or do I need a player that will support playing in a browser?

Thanks.

I'm sorry I forgot to mention I have the unattended codec pack by swgreed as well.

Thanks I've seen these topics before but I don't quite get how it helps me. When I said Quicktime extensions I didn't mean file extensions.

Let me clarify:

QuickTimeExtension.png

I should also mention that I have removed Media Player 6.4 and 9 with nLite.

I have:

* Firefox

* Full Unattended Codec Pack

* QuickTime Plugin from QuickTime Alt

* Winamp 5.08

I have setup the required firefox associations. Is this combination possible is there anything I'm missing?

Sorry to be a bit slow.

Actually, I've just looked on the Winamp forum and found some info on how to play quicktime files in Winamp (However, this still doesn't help me fix the issue with playing quicktime in firefox). More interestingly though is a plugin that allows DVDs in Winamp too :) I'd love to get all media/audio playing in one player.

The plugin (Power Player 2) only supports DVD playback on un copy protected discs. Shame but should have realised that. Ah well back to using Power DVD.

I've not used zipped version in eons..... would it prompt you to download a missing plugin? If so, you could then trick it by answering yes, allowing it to redirect to quicktime site, & cancelling the download. This will generate an error message from Firefox stating the download or install failed, would you like to do a manual install-- answer yes, it will prompt you to browse to local location of install file; whereupon you would point it to your Quicktime ALTERNATIVE setup file & just re-run / overinstall that plugin.

IF....big if..... the zipped version behaves in such manner, i'd almost guarantee this would solve your issue.........

Thanks horsecharles, but I think I'm getting somewhere now. I reinstalled the Unattended Codec Pack on my machine and restarted firefox and it's working now. I just need to get it working on my UXPd Virtual PC install. I had QT and Real Alt installed on my machine before so that might be giving me a false positive.

BTW - I just tried in_qt.dll plugin for Winamp and it works a treat :)

EDIT: I'm a donut ... Looks like the unattended setup didn't run the codec install. Oops. Sorry for the trouble. I'll try to make it up by posting great tutorials on UXPCD when I'm done.

Thanks. I ended up using the full Unattended Codec-Pack (by swgreed) thanks to a gentle reminder by SiMoNsAyS :)

I was using this pack already but had a funny five minutes and couldn't get things working.

Real Player seems even more troublesome though. It seems others have had a similar issue whereby some RM/RA files/streams work ok and some don't. Fortunately most sites that offer Real Player also offer Media Player which I have working thanks to the WMP 10 Codec and Stream Pack (As I've removed Media Player (inc 6.4) using nLite.

• 2 months later...

Just use QuickTime Alternative. Complete QuickTime support without the player.

Also, in order to play QuickTime files in Firefox, you just need npqtplugin.dll in Firefox's plugin folder. All I did was download QuickTime Player, compress it's plugins to a 7zip archive, uninstall it and clean out my registry (picky, yes I know) and then do trial and error to see which one is needed. And npqtplugin.dll is the winner.