Using XPCreate to identify & download updates...

Flashflood

Hello.

Is it possible (and permitted) to use XPCreate as a tool ONLY to identify and automatically download updates?

That is to say, I want to use XPCreate to automate the process of identifying and downloading updates for my (slipstreamed) WinXP Pro SP2 CD. However, I don't want XPCreate to do anything else.

If I can do this, then how?

Thank You.

Ode to Free Software

Once upon a time there was a man who owned a lake. The lake had the best Bass fishing in the County. Not wanting to be greedy, the man let whoever wanted to come fish in his lake. The man asked only that people respect his property and posted clear, easily readable signs to that effect. But soon the man started to notice disturbing things, like the people putting up a dock on the far side. “Just making some improvements”, the people said. The man walked away muttering, only to find an angry man on his front porch. “Your lake sucks, the man spat. I didn’t catch nothing”. The man with the lake nodded, noticing the slingshot in the others hand where a rod should be. Behind this man was another who said “I don’t want to fish in yer lake , mister, but ya mind if I do a little water skiing?

On and on it went, until fed up, the man said to himself “why do I need this? Its my lake… I am making no money here” and closed the road to the lake. Not wanting to cut off those that had respectfully fished in is lake, the man allowed them back in by invitation only…. But still the idiotic requests came!

Please don’t help close this lake for good. Take what is being offered on the owner’s terms (read EULA) or move on.

Sorry, don't mean to be rude. It's just that if you read the sticky at top of forum you will see the owner of this code feels strongly about people modifying/copying his code, and has recently (this week) stopped public distribution because of requests like yours.

EDIT:

Forgive me if I misunderstood your intentions and you were NOT talking about modifying the code. The new version of XPCREATE does not do downloads yet, but when it does you can just edit XPCREATE.INI and turn off cd creation (DOISO and DOCD) and other unneeded options.

http://xpcreate.com/xpcreateini.htm

Sorry, don't mean to be rude.
Being rude is EXACTLY what you intended.
It's just that if you read the sticky at top of forum you will see the owner of this code feels strongly about people modifying/copying his code, and has recently (this week) stopped public distribution because of requests like yours.

I am quite well aware of recent developments surrounding this issue. I obtained the latest version of the software in the proper manner. I have neither modified nor copied any of the author's code, have not considered doing so, and am not interested in doing so.

I read both the sticky and the EULA, and being a law student, understood the terms of the licence very well indeed.

My question in no way concerned any modification of the code. Your assumptions are both incorrect and unreasonable.

It doesn't take much effort to be civil. Behaviour such as you have demonstrated reveals more about your character deficiencies and lack of breeding than you realize.

In future, you would do well to think before you type.

“In future, you would do well to think before you type.”

Perhaps I spoke out of turn, and if so I apologize. But if all you want to do is download updates (a fraction of what XPCREATE does in total) why do you want to use XPCREATE? Why not just get the current update list and put them in a download manager? After you get them, what are you going to do with them that XPCREATE can’t do better?

BTW, my parable/rant was not meant for YOU specifically, maybe it would have been better placed in it’s own thread.

As for my character, I can only say I don’t enjoy being rude, but as a programmer (and I am speaking for myself, not the Author) I can’t tell you how frustrating it is to have people constantly want to use your code for things for which it was not intended.

Welcome to MSFN, Flashflood!

Unfortunatly, the answer to your question is no. I do believe that there are other tools that could do that, including Windows Update Catelog.

Now, on to the debate ... I don't think dman intended to be rude. If so, I think he could have done a far better job. Remember: make not assumptions, nor assertations without a bit more fact or evidence. A lesson that you will certainly learn once you are required to apply what your studies have brought you.

And to you, dman, I must say I liked your prose. For this, I will add my own. Perhaps it has some relevence, perhaps not ...

While defending his client for biting someone's nose off of, things were not looking good for the defense. Circumstancial evidence, motive and liklihood were all pointing to a guilty charge. However, when the prosecutions key witness was on the stand, things took a turn for the better. The fight was "re-enacted", and it was shown that the witness clearly had his back to the defendant when the said allegation took place. The defense attorney finally asked the witness if he could, indeed, see the defendant bit off the other man's nose. At that point the witness did admit that no, he did not see the defendant actually bite off the man's nose. And that is where the story should have ended. However ... the attorney was quite pleased with himself at this point, and asked the witness "Then how do you know he bit off his nose?", to which the witness calmly answered ... "I saw him spit it out."

As all to often in real life, the key lies in knowing where to stop. I will add just two words ... Denny Crane!

Case closed.